*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Wednesday ART THERAPY

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Helena Beatriz, May 4, 2022.

1. Georgine

Georgine Well-Known Member

Lou,

And Pierre would have loved you, as I do. I know it. There would have been much joy and laughter with you and Linda. You and Pierre are the only people I know who love Van Gogh as much as we do. Pierre introduced me to Van Gogh. Whenever we could and wherever we were, we visited museums to see his works. Our house has many books on Van Gogh, which include the artist's letters to his brother, Theo. My own favorite work of Van Gogh is his version of the Pieta - the Virgin Mary with her crucified Son. Van Gogh painted Christ's head and face resembling his own - with red hair. Words cannot do justice to it.

And guess what???? We also love Edward Hopper!!!!

This time, it was I who introduced Pierre to Edward Hopper Hopper, "Cape Ann Granite" - 1928.jpg IMG_0904-3.jpg , and he fell in love with the works, too.

And, what did we do? Of course, we went out and bought a book displaying Hopper's works. I looked up "Cape Ann" in the index and saw this beautiful "Cape Ann Granite" which Hopper painted, which is attached. I have also attached the front page of a 1994 article entitled "Hopper, Hopper, Everywhere" which I had saved and found in the book. If you did not come across it (28 years ago !!!!!!!), I will copy it and hopefully be able to send it to you in a post.
    If you don't have it, it is Linda's way of having me send it to you!!!!!

2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Well, you did it again, Georgine,
    and had me cry. When Linda
    was in the rehab unit , our plan
    was that she would join me in
    an apartment, not yet chosen.
    After she died, I ended up in an
    apartment in an old Lutheran
    church , which was used as a
    Finnish meeting place for the
    Finns who worked the granite
    quarries. The God Wink is that
    Linda was half Finnish, and I
    live on a street called "Finn
    Alley". Coincidence? I think
    not. Thank you for your touching article & photo of
    Hopper's work. I was tearful
    AGAIN, bc Linda & I chose
    Hopper cards to write to
    people. Yes, it's as if Linda
    sent your words and photos
    to me , with you as her
    messenger. Lou

3. eyepilot13

eyepilot13 Well-Known Member

I don't know watz going on I'm too freaked out by the sudden-ness of it all! but last week I got the opportunity for a promising looking aparatamant and since need to move anyway I thought I'd do this.. so I'm really preoccupied with all this crazy packing and BS My energy is otherwise so depleted! Hope to start doing art once I move next week. I'll see how it goes! Much love and support!

Countess Joy, RLC, DEB321 and 5 others like this.
  4. Van Gogh

Right on, Bro Geo! Tell us the
    new town, so we'll stop
    calling you Lombardo! I know
    it sucks to move, but I have a
    feeling "you're movin' on up",
    like the Jeffersons, in the old
    TV sitcom....Lou T.

DEB321, cjpines, Rose69 and 2 others like this.
  5. Georgine

Oh, Lou, I just read your post and found it so emotional and incredible. I feel privileged that you have chosen to share these beautiful moments that you had with Linda and the "God Winks"; Linda's Finnish background; your time in the Lutheran church and the granite connection; the name of the street where you live; the Edward Hopper cards. Edward Hopper really captured the mood of America, didn't he? You have brought back a memory for me: Pierre, our son and I walking in midtown Manhattan somewhere in the 3os on the West side on a late Sunday afternoon in the summer when, suddenly, we noticed the sunlight on a very old building. It was, as we recognized it, an Edward Hopper look. It was beautiful. Thank you for this memory.

I visited the area where you live many years ago and loved it. In fact, I have a bit of a fascination with it. It is beautiful and almost stoic at the same time. Many of our greatest American writers come from New England and have recorded the history of the area which has remained timeless in its appeal. Like the writers from the South, they have left us a legacy that is priceless.

I do believe that the tears are good for us Grief Warriors. I read somewhere that they have a beneficial physiological effect. That is probably the reason that one feels better after crying. Now, after having shed tears, it will be good to dance and enjoy yourself, tonight, with your female friends. Linda's love for you will radiate from your being.

Georgine

6. Van Gogh

Georgine, thank you for your
    beautiful words. It seems the
    more we "talk", as DEB puts it,
    the more it leads to other
    memories. I recall seeing the
    classic Hopper painting of a
    NYC diner, and paintings of the
    love of his life. You are right
    about the rich history of New
    England, which produced some
    of our Founding Fathers, authors as well as painters & musicians.
    Nearby Salem , for example,
    is noted for Nathaniel
    Hawthorne, who worked as a
    clerk in the maritime district.
    and became famous for his
    book, The House of Seven
    Gables. Linda & I took a tour
    of that place. and many N.E.
    lighthouses. Now, I can see
    lighthouses every day, and they
    are timeless and magical, like
    the sea. Lou

DEB321, Rose69 and Deborah A. like this.
  7. eyepilot13

eyepilot13 Well-Known Member

I hope so. At this point I'm just freaking out this is so sudden and life changing. Again!

Rose69, Deborah A. and Van Gogh like this.
  8. Van Gogh

George, you have to keep telling
    yourself :you've been through
    a lot worse, Valerie's death,
    dialysis, and a depressing
    neighborhood. As my grief
    counselor once said, change can
    be for the better. L.T.

9. Deborah A.

Deborah A. Well-Known Member

Thank you all so very much Deb!! I can’t express enough how much your love, support and kindness has helped me. This pandemic has been really intensely difficult for so many kids, and I’m constantly realizing how inadequate my skills are to surmount the challenges that vulnerable children face. Man. Special education with vulnerable children and a pandemic DON’T MIX WELL!

But all of us here know the unique pain of losing our partner. And thank you once again, Deb, for helping me feel a little less alone. I’m so deeply grateful for each person here who is battling through their own struggle and sharing the love we have together. Thank you Deb! Thank you all for finding your way here! We will survive! ❤️

DEB321, cjpines, eyepilot13 and 3 others like this.
  10. Georgine

Lou,

DEB is absolutely right. I just saw your post, and I was stunned: 2 nights ago, I finished reading a short biography of Nathaniel Hawthorne.

I learned what you said: that he had been a clerk in the maritime district. I had read The Scarlet Letter many years ago and was deeply impressed with it. I had always known of The House of Seven Gables and wanted to read it. Now, I will. I did not know much about Hawthornes's background until reading the bio. I had no idea that he had suffered so much. He did, apparently, have a puts a very good marriage. He and his wife loved each other very much. In a way, the little that I just learned of Hawthorne reminds me of Ingmar Bergman's life. It is interesting how their backgrounds inform their art - and leaves us with their masterpieces.

My Pierre was an American from Paris. He was born in France destined to live in the States. He left Paris at age 19 on a one-way ticket on TWA and, for the rest of his life, remembered seeing the Statue of Liberty from the plane and feeling the exhilaration when TWA touched down at JFK. For Pierre, the day he became a U.S. citizen was more important than his birthday. He cherished our country - Every single square inch of it. We traveled through every state except 2. One of the last trips we took was to Tanglewood. Driving in Massachusetts in August 2018 was a magical time etched in my memory.

11. Van Gogh

Georgine, your sense of history
    coupled with your own personal
    experience with Pierre ( and his,
    before he met you) is fascinating. I was a manager of a
    bookstore in the city , when I
    met Linda. I wish I could say I
    read a lot of books after graduating college, but I "saw the movie", instead. so I knew
    what to recommend to customers. I traveled to NYC
    and to Tanglewood, but
    unfortunately with another
    woman before I met Linda. At
    least I had the sense not to
    marry that woman. I enjoyed
    both places, if not the company.
    Linda had relationships before
    me, but did not get married
    either. It was as if we waited for
    each other. Like many Grief
    Warriors, I don't see myself
    getting married again...Lou

DEB321, Sweetcole and Rose69 like this.
  12. Georgine

Lou,

Thank you. I totally share your sentiments. Our soulmates were destined for us and we for them. No one else. That is why we are all here at this site.

Georgine

DEB321, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  13. Van Gogh

Yes, well said, Georgine. I almost
    feel that you and I are having an
    ongoing conversation. Other
    times, I have those with Karen.
    DEB, and Robin, in particular,
    but occasionally with Bernadine,
    Nicole ( "Sweetcole"), Helena,
    and some new members like
    Deb A. Gary will be back, as well
    as George. I consider them to be
    the brothers I never had. Lou

DEB321, Rose69 and Georgine like this.
  14. Georgine

Yes, Lou. I agree. I do believe that these conversations are so very helpful for our well-being.
    And, I think that we are all blessed to have the emotional support of each other.

Georgine

DEB321, cjpines and Rose69 like this.
  15. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best for your move George, looking forward to your art once you've settled down.

DEB321, Van Gogh and Sweetcole like this.
  16. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sadden everyone, but I consider you my friends, so I just wanted to share with you what I'm looking at, at the moment on YouTube (I'm not sure if I will be able to succeed with sending the link!) . Half of the east coast of our country is completely flooded, their are unfortunately victims, about 9, still counting, people missing and thousands evacuated from their homes, we are ok, apart from torrential continuous rain every day, because we live in Southern Italy (well at least ok for now, this "cyclone" isn't over yet! ). A state emergency has been declared, just like an earthquake.

17. Sweetcole

Sweetcole Well-Known Member

Awww man! Praying for everyone involved.

18. Deborah A.

Deborah A. Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness Rose, that’s terrible and frightening!! Take good care! Jeepers!!

19. Georgine

Rose,

This is terrible. The country was ravaged with the pandemic and, now, this catastrophe. I pray that everyone affected will be safe and come through it.
    Thank you for letting us know and please keep us updated. Stay safe.

Daphne

20. Van Gogh

Georgine, in your message to
    Rose, you signed Daphne. I'm
    curious if that was a mistake ,
    or perhaps your nickname,or
    middle name. Lou

Rose69 likes this.