*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Wednesday ART THERAPY

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Helena Beatriz, May 4, 2022.

1. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

2. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Rose, I like your idea of "Craft Therapy" . I have been crafty all my life and after Jim's passing it took a while for my creativity to come back. Then - and i feel he had a hand in this - I began helping with craft activities with some local groups. I ran craft tables and helped with children's camps at our local Heritage Farm Center and even taught craft classes at a local senior center. These brought back the creativity and gave me something to look forward to.
    So Rose i hope you continue to enjoy and share your craft activities.
    ceee

Van Gogh and Rose69 like this.
  3. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Hello Ceee, thank you for your reply. Yes I find craft very therapeutical.I think I have actually 'inherited' some creativity skills from my husband, he was amazing with manual creative activities, whether it was woodwork, drawing, painting, playing musical instruments, there was really nothing he couldn't do or create. I'm finding I'm able to fix things around the house, remembering what he taught me, I seem to have "opened" my eyes, noticing every little detail around me (just like he did), anticipating potential problems like something that is likely to break, or in need of maintenance, taking care of it before it gets out of hand.
    I think it's wonderful how you have helped out in children's camps and taught craft classes, and I am happy for you that your creativity skills have returned. You're honouring your soulmate with your talent and he is proud of you.
    Keep crafting Ceee, I also hope to get stuck into a new creative activity to keep my mind occupied.
    All the best to you.
    Rose.

4. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Rose, i have been thinking about you and hope you have found a crafty outlet to help pass the time and occupy your thoughts.
    What have you found that interests you?
    I am no longer teaching crafts to groups or going to the activities so i have found online resources. I have been attending on-line craft conferences and courses. I haven't made much but have enjoyed all the new ideas.
    Hugs to you.

Gary166, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  5. Daisy171

Daisy171 Well-Known Member

Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  6. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

HI Ceee, thank you for your post. I haven't found anything crafty to do at the moment, and in fact, I'm missing that therapy. Now that we have more daylight hours I'm trying to spend more time outdoors as much as possible for my "nature therapy", doing odd jobs on our property: pruning, chopping branches, weeding, and so on. Not today, though, strong cold North winds blowing! I go back to my piano every now and then too, just simple ballads,singing along, releasing my pain, but my concentration level is too low to learn anything new, like me and my beloved husband used to do together.
    I should look for something to do on the internet, I will definitely need some form of craft to get on with when those hot, scorching Summer afternoons arrive with temperatures in 100s,and we're stuck inside in for hours on end, waiting for sunset, when we can finally get a breather!
    Do you have any pictures of your creations? Would love to see them.

A big hug to you too.
    Rose.

Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  7. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

This was a candle centerpiece a cousin gave me last year for Christmas - I have been redecorating it for every season since. Fun easy project.

Attached Files:

8. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Van Gogh likes this.
  9. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

foam-plastic eggs.jpg These were foam and plastic eggs i decorated and gave as table favors. I also taught them in a craft class at the senior center. I am not a true "craftsman" or "artist" but love doodleing with materials

10. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

This was a candle centerpiece a cousin gave me last year for Christmas - I have been redecorating it for every season since. Fun easy project.

11. Daisy171

I play a game on line which is not very creative, but I find it soothing. It's called Township and you slowly build a town and can join coops to work with others. I try to make my town a place I would like to live.

Ceee, Gary166, Rose69 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

They are all very pretty Ceee, you do have a creative touch.
    Hope to share with you again soon.
    Take care.
    Rose.

Van Gogh, Ceee and Gary166 like this.
  13. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Daisy, I play these sort of games too on my tablet. They do help to distract our minds don't they? I suppose we can call them "virtually creative".

Take care.
    Rose

Rose

14. Daisy171

I like to pretend that I am creating a town in which I could live. I haven't been playing as much since my husband passed because I am finding everything too painful, but I do think it would be good for me to do it again. I may have a new dog in a few days.

15. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Daisy, I understand you not being able to do things you did together with your husband. We have all experienced this, it took me over six months before I could get back on the piano. We had started learning together, he actually learned and taught ME at the same time! Now I can "play around" on it a little, but cannot possibly play the same music we played together, just brings so many tears, I always have to find something different to play. I owe it to him, after all the hard work together, I don't want to forget, I must keep practising. I have had to change so many routines, I go to a different supermarket, there are still shops I have to avoid, certain roads I try not to take while I'm driving, can't cook the same dishes,can't watch the same tv programmes.It's just too heartbreaking to go to places we had only ever gone together.
    We learn to live with new daily routines, sharing them with our soulmates as they continue to live through us, involving them in everything we do, talking to them, making decisions which we would make if they were still here, feeling their love and strength, as they guide us along our paths. They're just not here physically, but the influence they have had on our lives is still here, so they will always be part of us and part of our lives as we take them with us.

I think it's great that you may be getting a new dog, pets do bring us so much comfort.
    Keep us informed.
    Rose

DEB321, Van Gogh, Ceee and 2 others like this.
  16. Daisy171

What you said struck me as so true and powerful and I completely identify with everything you said particularly about making decisions we would if they were still here. It's just so hard to believe that they are really gone. I will keep you posted on the dog.

17. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Just some "Nature therapy" that I thought I would share with you.
    My sprouted pumpkin seed-bed , I sowed the seeds a month ago. Hope to plant them outside when we finally get warmer weather.
    IMG_20230407_132537.jpg

DEB321, cjpines, Countess Joy and 2 others like this.
  18. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Good things to come

19. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Sunsets always remind me of J and the times we just sat quietly and watched them progress.

I was looking back through some old messages and it struck me how different we are from each other and how different our spouses are and how amazing it was that we each found the perfect one for us (even tho it took two tries I found the perfect one for me)

I also noticed the use of the term "TUTTUM and i am curious what it stands for and how it got started.

HUGS to all and may there be peaceful moments in your day.

Attached Files:

DEB321, cjpines, Rose69 and 3 others like this.
  20. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Cee, beautiful sunset photo and
    sentiment. Linda & I were more sunset
    people, than sunrise people. I still am.
    TUTTAM is one of the funny abbreviations of our good friend, DEB. It stands for:
    "TOTAL UNDERSTATEMENT TO THE
    ABSOLUTE MAX"!!! Lou

DEB321, eyepilot13, Rose69 and 2 others like this.