*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Wednesday ART THERAPY

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Helena Beatriz, May 4, 2022.

1. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Whats up Karen! The weather in Indiana has been similar to what Rose described before the north winds. Low 30s, cloudy, damp, and muddy. Very depressing but non life threatening like what you are experiencing. Is your pine tree a giant? I wish I could upload a photo of today’s grief devotion from Centerforloss.com because it describes exactly how I feel. Bogged down trying to walk through thick mud. Uninspired bored lethargic. But it explains sometimes this is what we need to do in this season. Many animals and plants are hibernating this season. My mind seems to be in hibernation. I start my most dreaded chores late afternoon to trick my mind from putting them off another day. Thank goodness the exercise bike came in so I can spend my anxiety. I truly have it made compared to the displaced and the homeless. Daylight is increasing. I need to be gentle and compassionate with myself today. Gary

2. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Garbear, I've read today's devotion. Centerforloss and it fits me to a tea. I thought I was melting down into a gnome living underground in misery. Maybe if Bernadine reads this she can post it. I don't know how either. So according to today's devotion we're experiencing normal grief. Somehow it doesn't seem healthy to me.

I'm so bored and boring now. I have things to occupy and do, but do nothing. I think your exercise bike may be a blessing for you not only for anxiety, but keeping your heart beating.

I hope our neighborhood bear is hibernating now. He sure had fun in everyone's garbage late in the season. The deer are out and about with the new weeds to eat. And birds, oh my god, going crazy eating my seed even in the rain they are out. I thought squirrels hibernate, I have many still looking for food. Keeps my kitty happy. My pine tree must be 30 ft high. Power company hasn't come out since Friday to cut it down. I'll have to call them. So many trees around the town have fallen over houses and streets. At least the power company did top the tree for now.
    Jack always said in Dec the days are getting longer. Oh ya! but the winter darkness is still apparent late Dec, Jan until we have a spring like weather in Feb then winter again.
    Sometimes just talking about your feelings as you have helps to release anxiety, don't you think? What you have shared has helped me because I'm right there too. I thought I was losing my mind until you wrote this. Now I know it's normal. Or an abnormal state of mind that we must go through on this awful journey living alone and wondering who we are, who will we be, what will our life be like. Well, enough better take a nap it helps pass the days. K

I would be interested to know if anyone else here is experiencing any of these so called "normal" grief feelings.

Rose69, Van Gogh and Gary166 like this.
  3. Deborah A.

Deborah A. Well-Known Member

I completely understand where you are coming from. I feel like grief swallows me, occasionally. On those occasions, I’m embarrassed and don’t know where to turn. I think this is going to happen from time to time. But it’s hard. There’s no question about that. Lonely and hard.

4. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

upload_2023-1-11_14-30-1.png

5. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Great job Mrs Hum on cranking out 3 beautiful books about what is going on in your world. It does help me to puke out these feelings. Especially to find other warriors in the same boat. You are living in a wildlife paradise Karen. It sounds like a dry parched land being reborn. It sounds like this event has stirred your spirit! Dingy faded colors here. I walked the woods Sunday with a sunny blue sky. I experienced a moment of woodpecker mindfulness with all the tapping and hammering. I remember you encouraging me once by saying we must do more than just function. I will keep trying if you will. Garbear

Countess Joy, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  6. cjpines

Yes, I will keep trying. What else can we all do but keep trying. Speaking of woodpeckers here is a story. Jack and I had a house in Oregon just before we were to put it up for sale we notice holes below the eves all along the upper side of the house. We then knew it was woodpeckers after seeing them at work. They are beautiful creatures and we wondered what was their motive. The holes were perfectly spaced apart by 1/2 inch and in straight rows. We put the house up for sale and never mentioned the woodpeckers art work. No one noticed.

7. cjpines

8. cjpines

Oh, Louster, Godfathers can be sad. Hey, this whole journey of loss of our love one really takes everything out of us.

9. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Garbear, I collapsed early tonight and
    went into a deep sleep from 7:30 to
    10:30 pm, & just woke up briefly to
    check in with GIC. I am both amazed and
    pleased to see the long "talks" among
    Ms. Hum, Bernadine, Deborah, and you.
    I receive Center for Loss quotes around
    11am every day. I recall some of them
    from a year ago, and they are still
    stirring. "Walking through mud "
    reminded me of Jonathan Santlofer's
    line in The Widower's Notebook, about
    "walking through cement". Linda's cane
    has given me strength and I usually
    don't experience that as much now.
    However, I can't stop my morning cry
    about Linda as I awake. The day gets
    better when I interact with people. I
    walk everyday. It's cold, 30s now, but I
    dress in a hoodie & layered clothing.
    Of course, I'm in a better mood when it's
    sunny. I can't complain ,bc my New England weather isn't as bad as Ms. Mum's,yours in Indiana, and worst of
    all, Lombardo's freezing winds in the
    Windy City of the Chicago area. Debster
    said she'd be MIA for a while. It appears
    that our Ms. Hum, who is usually known
    for her witty one liners, is, out of boredom,
    in the Calif. storms, writing "books" like
    Debster. Now , back to sleep for The
    Godfather. May we all have pleasant
    dreams.....

Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  10. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

IMG_20230112_074513.jpg
    Yes, yes, yes, and more yesses. Idleness, not doing and just be-ing, new insights, that's just it. I seem to have developed extra - sensitive perceptions as I wander through my nature therapy, weather - permitting of course. I notice every single plant, wild flower, trees, birds, insects, which I've always taken for granted. I've lived here for nearly twenty-eight years, why am I just noticing now? The other day I was bewildered by a wild myrtle plant full of black myrtle seeds which I unexpectedly discovered. I stood there ages just examining it. I seem to be studying the beauty and the miracle of everything around me through my C's eyes, as I also tread this thick mud with you all here, feeling the weight getting more and more unbearable, BUT my C is guiding me on, helping me along, overcoming each obstacle, giving me strength.
    Karen, I love that story of the woodpecker's art work, he seemed to have had a really good time making all those holes in your house. They are wonderful creatures though, you're right.
    Gary, I agree with you that we should have a little compassion for ourselves during this dark, hybernation season. At least we can now look forward to longer daylight hours, I'm counting the minutes. I've now reached 30 minutes more light as it gets dark now at 5.30pm instead of 5.00pm. I've never done that before!
    Lou, I always find it touching when you talk about walking with your Linda's cane, she's guiding you in every way, mentally and physically.

Just to add a little brightness to our dark moods, I'm sending some photos of an incredibly sunny day we had yesterday with a bright blue sky that we didn't even see in the summer last year, it rained almost every day! Climate change! :(
    Another night-time picture I took (I found the colours of the sky that night particularly evocative), but maybe it's just this new vivid perception I have of seeing things.

Rose. IMG_20230112_074808.jpg IMG_20230112_074923.jpg

Sweetcole, Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  11. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

12. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Apologies for the confusion, haven't got the hang of posting files yet. o_O

Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  13. Van Gogh

Rose, no need to apologize. The fact that
    you can text these photos of your
    beautiful countryside, on a sunny, cloudless blue sky, is impressive.I always
    forget ( or am too lazy) to ask a friend,
    who takes pictures of everything , and
    texts them to me, to show me how.He did
    show me how to take his text photos on
    his phone,to a place where they can be
    made into prints , and sent to friends,
    enclosed in a letter, the old fashioned way.
    That's great, bc I'm "old school". Thank you
    for your kind comment about Linda's
    cane. After 4 years since Linda's death,
    I'm in a confused sense of mind. On one
    hand, I had promised Linda, when she
    became ill ( I choke up when I say this,
    bc I can picture her ), that I don't live
    alone, and to find another woman. My
    buddy, whose soulmate died 3 yrs ago, & I,
    had been going to a local cafe to listen to
    live music, and perhaps to meet and
    dance with women. It has not worked out,
    bc in my small town, it is either women
    too young or too old, or in couples. Tomortow night, we are going to park my
    friend's car ( I gave up driving), and visit
    bars, where women go. However, I
    don't want to be mixed up with a woman
    who is too young, or drunk, with more
    problems than I have. I don't have high
    hopes,but my friend, who's a few years
    younger, is more optimistic. Another
    idea was to join an online dating service,
    but I tried that before Linda and never had
    any success. At this point , I like my
    quiet apartment and the freedom to come
    & go. I don't want to remarry, or even to
    live with another woman. If a woman
    feels the same way, it could work. It
    would be pleasant to have a woman in
    my life, with whom to take walks by the
    ocean, share a meal, and even, a hug. I'd
    like to know how you and other Grief
    Warriors feel. Lou

Sweetcole, Rose69 and Gary166 like this.
  14. cjpines

Louster, Ms Mum caught you again. Hum! Typo's keeps me from becoming alzheimer's.

Rose69, Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  15. cjpines

Oh, Louster another typo. Haaa! makes my day.
    For me, I'm not interested in another man. Just can't go there. But, I think you are going about this quite well with guidelines for yourself. You could try a dating service again just for the heck of it.

16. Van Gogh

Karen, I dare not screw up your nickname
    a 3rd time. Always great to hear your
    wit & wisdom. Linda and I liked a funny
    British movie which we saw in a theater.
    It starred the wonderful, elderly Maggie
    Smith. It was called, Keeping Mum. It
    was a black comedy ( 2005), also starring
    Rowan Atkinson ( famous for Mr. Bean),
    as a befuddled, clueless minister and
    family man. I think you'd like it. I can
    understand why you don't want another
    man in your life, Karen. I'll keep you
    posted. The Godfather of Lobsterville

Rose69 and cjpines like this.
  17. cjpines

Did you catch the typo in your post about not screwing up? If not, it's called, search and find. I just have to rag on you, it makes me happy.

Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  18. cjpines

Sorry, it's not in the post screwing up it's in the post to Rose (no need to apologize).

Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  19. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Beautiful photos Rose! The night time photo looks like a giant Serpant traveling across the mountain tops. The cold weather makes for the bluest skies. I like how you saw the myrtle and other forms of wildlife with great depth. There was a male cardinal and red bellied woodpecker on the feeder at the same time today that offered some cheer. I thought of the fire people who wouldn’t share their fire with others. The ordinary people were cold and ate uncooked food. The people tried taking fire from the fire people but they were too fast and would catch them and take the fire back. One day a counsel was held and the people devised a plan with the help of several birds to have a relay in place and get the fire away from the fire people. A man grabbed a piece of fire and ran with it and the fire people chased him. Right before they caught him he gave it to a bird who took off with the fire. When the fire people almost caught the bird the bird gave it to another bird. And to another bird and on and on. And the fire people gave up. The fire people referred to these birds as the fire catchers or fire thieves and marked them with red colors on their heads. I think this is a beautiful myth and a special way to honor the woodpeckers. Gary

20. Van Gogh

Wow, Garbear, what an impressive
    legend. Thanks for sharing. I've been in

Rip Van Winkle hibernation, sleeping
    right after dinner. Just woke up briefly to
    check in with GIC,and was pleased to see
    your reply to Rose's photos from Italy.
    They were bittersweet for me, bc Linda
    wanted us to visit Italy, but we never did.
    I try to remember an idyllic trip we did do,
    to Bermuda. Godfather of Lobsterland

Gary166 and Rose69 like this.