*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Valentine is Dead!

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by eyepilot13, Feb 11, 2022.

1. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Rick, I'm so glad you have a new puppy to help with the void in your home. You will be very busy caring for your little "Honey". Dogs are the greatest companion and so forgiving. Have fun, Karen

1guy likes this.
  2. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

Last summer’s heat challenged all of us. It’s no surprise your tomato plants were less than prolific. Here are my thoughts, which you may have already figured out.
    Problems come when the really high temps hit while the blossoms are opening… the flowers can drop off, the pollinators aren’t as busy, water evaporates, it’s a struggle.
    Water: I would start by using the largest pot you have and a soil mix made specifically for containers that holds moisture while giving good drainage. Put a deep saucer underneath so you can bottom water, that will keep the roots down. Roots can’t take up water when it’s too hot so water when it’s cool and then supplement water on the surface on those scorching days you want to just to help retain the moisture level below.
    If you aren’t trying for a specific type select a variety that’s listed “for containers, dwarf, patio” etc and is “heat tolerant” and maybe smaller fruit size; cherry, roma, grape and the like.*
    Sun: I know tomato tags always say “full sun” but yes, a shade cloth of some kind could definitely help. Bringing them under or behind lattice is good, consider hanging a lightweight wet sheet on it during the hottest hours and it will provide some additional cooling especially if there is any amount of breeze.
    Pollination: Try having fresh water sources and some of your flowering herbs nearby to keep the bees around. Nighttime pollinators can help too… figure out what kind you have in your area and see what draws them in. Also give the plants a jiggle everyday when you walk by, it’s surprisingly helpful with pollination.

*My cherry tomatoes did great last year. They were in ground and the kind that just grows wild so the blossoms that fell didn’t ruin the whole crop, they picked up right where they left off when it got back below 90 and produced all the way through September. The big tomatoes never really recovered, all of the same growing conditions. Mother nature toys with us I think.
    Hope that’s a little helpful. ~B

Gary166, cjpines and Van Gogh like this.
  3. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Thank you B, yes the flowers did drop. I'll print this out and save. Tks again, K

Van Gogh likes this.
  4. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

It’s late.
    I should at least be trying to sleep.
    The air was cold, and dry today.
    Moving swiftly about, little eddies of brown curled leaves.
    Maggie was not thrilled about being outdoors.
    Shes rowdy if we don’t brave it now and then throughout the day.
    She had a treat to gnaw on to keep her happy.
    Pet parents who only eat plants should be given extra points for treating their companions to a large smelly bone.
    ~Bernadine

csmith532, cjpines and Van Gogh like this.
  5. csmith532

csmith532 Well-Known Member

This will be my motto to MG from now on. Ha!

-Chad

Van Gogh likes this.
  6. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Glad you liked my take on Mr. Grief. I got
    a lot of positive agreement from other
    GW, as well. It was great to make Karen
    smile, bc she was the creator of Mr. Grief.
    I welcomed Tom ( tgotyall) back to GIC, to
    our brotherhood. Lou

csmith532 and cjpines like this.