*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Sudden Loss of 38 Year Old Son

Discussion in 'Loss of Adult Child' started by Carol72156, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Carol72156

Carol72156 Member

The later at night it is, the worse it gets -- maybe sharing helps. My son had several health issues growing up but nothing life-threatening or so we thought. It was mutually agreed that he continue living at home as an adult. I realize now I took for granted all the ways he made a positive difference in my life. In the 3rd week of April, my son began having chest and back complaints. I brought him to the ER to get checked out especially since he was born with a heart abnormality. The Dr diagnosed the issue as non-cardiac related chest pain and advised to follow up with his PCP. On the drive home, we made an appointment 4 days later. My son took over the counter pain medication as prescribed over the weekend. When I got home from work that Monday, I went upstairs to look for him. My son was still in bed --- I knew before I even touched him. It was like I was outside of myself screaming his name and shaking him to wake up. It's like a nightmare I can never wake up from. It comes in waves and it's really hard to function. When I'm not working, I'm crying and sleeping.

2. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Carol,
    I am so sorry for the tragic loss of your son. I can’t imagine losing a child, how awful that must be. And to find him, no words.
    But you’re right, sharing your story is very helpful. Reading other people stories helps too. Just knowing you’re not alone in your pain. And the feelings you’re going through are normal. I agree that night time seems to be a very difficult time for us all, I know that’s when I feel the worst and my mind thinks too much.
    I lost my husband to a sudden and massive heart attack. He thought he was healthy. Took him from me in 2 hours. And my life was turned upside down from that moment on. I also find the loneliness to be overwhelming,, we were together 24/7. Worked in our business together.
    It does feel like the never ending nightmare work helps because it keeps your mind occupied. Crying can be very good, so let that happen.
    Visit this site often, it is very helpful. All the best to you. ❤️

3. Brihau

Brihau Active Member

on 5/15 I lost my 33 year old daughter to her heart defect, at least that’s what the autopsy says. I don’t understand it, she had been followed up at a great hospital and everything was ok. I don’t know how it happened, one minute she was ordering food, and the next she was gone, she didn’t live with me, and the neighbors found her. I asked them to check because she wasn’t answering her phone. I can imagine your pain, I feel it also, I’m sorry you had the extra trauma of seeing your son like that. No parent should ever.

QUOTE="Carol72156, post: 13372, member: 15276"]The later at night it is, the worse it gets -- maybe sharing helps. My son had several health issues growing up but nothing life-threatening or so we thought. It was mutually agreed that he continue living at home as an adult. I realize now I took for granted all the ways he made a positive difference in my life. In the 3rd week of April, my son began having chest and back complaints. I brought him to the ER to get checked out especially since he was born with a heart abnormality. The Dr diagnosed the issue as non-cardiac related chest pain and advised to follow up with his PCP. On the drive home, we made an appointment 4 days later. My son took over the counter pain medication as prescribed over the weekend. When I got home from work that Monday, I went upstairs to look for him. My son was still in bed --- I knew before I even touched him. It was like I was outside of myself screaming his name and shaking him to wake up. It's like a nightmare I can never wake up from. It comes in waves and it's really hard to function. When I'm not working, I'm crying and sleeping.[/QUOTE]