*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

So lost

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Lost and in pain, Jul 20, 2022.

1. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Rose, I’m so sorry you’re struggling so much. But I can understand 100%. Life has become so difficult. Let out your emotions and just do what you feel up to. Try to get fresh air when you can. What you’re going through is part of the peaks and valleys of this torture that was thrown at us. Missing the memories from summers past makes you miss them even more. I can tell you from experience that eventually and very slowly these memories will bring smiles. Hard to believe I know but it does happen over time.
    We’re here to help you and each other. Robin

pam9458, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  2. I really don’t want to be here anymore.. my husband and and I grew up together, every memory, ever, includes him. He did everything, drove us everywhere, repaired everything ..…Now, everything is a mess. The property is falling apart, I’m falling apart. I never had a chance to recover from a stroke, 3 weeks later, my husband died. The stress brought on hives, followed by an almost daily change of ailments- one hand goes numb, the next day, one finger swells, the next day, the next finger, another day it felt as if my shoulder was dislocated and on and on. My vision keeps worsening. I feel like God is punishing me but I don’t know why. I have to go back to work. My daughter does next to nothing even though she sees I can’t do much in my current state. She’ll be a senior in college next month. I hoped she would take classes online so she could stay at home with me. Nope, wants all the senior activities. I’m sorry. I know it must sound like all I can do is whine, but I feel like the walls are closing in on me. I just want to die.

cjpines, Gary166, Rose69 and 2 others like this.
  3. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Lost, please tell me your name and that of
    your husband. That's the first step in the
    healing process . I'm glad you are still
    with us on GIC. The more you reveal,
    the more we can help you. As I said before.mywife,of 25 yrs, no children, died over 3
    &a half yrs ago. Linda was 68, and I had
    to see a grief counselor, bc I had
    suicidal thoughts. She suggested GIC,
    & I joined a year ago. Lou

Gary166, Rose69 and RLC like this.
  4. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

You don’t come across as someone whining. You come across as someone struggling and in pain. I’m so sorry you’re having all these health issues on too of the loss of your husband. I’m sorry your daughter isn’t changing her plans to be there for you. When my Dad passed many years ago, the stress of losing him brought on health issues for me. After more tests and doctor visits then I could list I was finally diagnosed with RA. After losing my husband Ron I got some worse. Stress affects us many ways. I also questioned what did I do wrong to lose my soul mate who cared for me with so much love. And then I changed to what did Ron do to have his life cut so short. We all through these questions. Truth is we haven’t done anything wrong, God needed them, it was their time. But way too early. It takes time but you’ll get stronger, I’m not sure there’s such a thing as healing from this, but we do get stronger. I’m so sorry you have to go back to work. I know TX is very hot right now but try to get fresh air. Try to goer out of the house. It might not feel like it helps but it does. This site is here for you to voice what’s bothering you. I’m glad you’re doing that. Baby steps, one day one hour or one moment at a time. Holding in your emotions or what’s going on in in your mind is not healthy. We’re here for you. Robin

Sweetcole, Ceee, Rose69 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Doug and Susan

Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  6. Van Gogh

Thank you very much, Susan. That's a
    big step. It is also good to honor Doug. Lou

Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  7. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Dear Susan I am so sorry you are in so much physical and emotional pain now. That is what grief does to all of us. I didn’t know if I wanted to keep living either. I stumbled forward with half a brain for 5 months. 75% of Friends and family abandon us during loss. They aren’t being bad they just don’t know what to say or do for us. What I read is that we are supposed to tell our friends and family what we need and expect from them. I never accomplished that though. Muster all the power you can and be extra gentle and kind to yourself. When our bodies are stressed the brain dumps an excess of adrenaline and cortisone into our system and the body can’t process it fast enough and that causes health problems pain and depression. It causes memory loss too and we refer to that as the foggy widow/widower brain. I increased my antidepressant and pain medicine. I’m 15 months into this miserable grief journey and off antidepressants and sleep meds. It takes a lot of time. This is the hardest thing you will ever do but you don’t have to do it alone. Google the site centerforloss.com. Read 6 needs of the mourner. This will explain the shock and confusion people go through from grief. If you stay here you are going to feel a part of the group and get support understanding and love. I’m glad you figured out how to navigate the site. I’m sending you a virtual hug and positive thoughts and encouragement. Be extra extra gentle and kind to yourself. Gary

8. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Susan, this is Karen. Some good advice here and it's proven with me that this site has helped me more than I know. I can get on this forum and say anything. It's not whining it's what's in your heart, what you are thinking. You may be feeling desperation, nowhere to go, no hope. We truly understand, we really do. Stay with us. God bless you, K
    P. S. I too, for many months, wanted to die and be with my Jack. I felt there is no more life for me here. I didn't take care of myself and didn't care. Now I'm paying the price physically and mentally. But, I didn't care and nothing would of changed that -- at the time. You worth taking care of yourself the best way you can.

9. Thank you. I read the 6 needs. With time, I hope I can move forward. Right now, not quite 30 days in, I’m cycling between fog, intense pain and flood of memories, bawling my head off and back to fog. I’m guessing the fog is my brain temporarily relieving the pain. Right now, it still doesn’t seem real. On 6/29, my husband wasn’t feeling well and stayed home. I went to work. When he didn’t answer my texts/phone calls, I went back home. I’m the one who found his lifeless body. I reached out and confirmed what I already knew..he was gone. I could hear my screams echo through the house. That moment, reaching out to touch him, feeling the stiffness, knowing instantly that my life had been shattered, and my screams just repeat again and again like a horrible nightmare. I used to pray every day. Now, I see no point in it.

Gary166, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  10. Van Gogh

Oh, God, Susan, your horrific experience
    of finding Doug's lifeless body, sent chills
    down my spine. Would you be open to
    seeing a grief counselor? When my
    wife collapsed in front of me, in her
    room at the rehab / nursing home, I
    was having suicidal thoughts. & went to
    a kind psychiatric nurse practitioner/
    grief counselor. She suggested GIC, but
    I didn't join until a year ago. Lou

11. With time, I’m sure I’ll need some type of counseling/therapy, Right now, I’m on 4 meds for the stroke, 1 for anxiety,1 for depression. I’ve suffered from depression my entire life so that’s nothing new although I didn’t take any meds. I personally don’t believe I have the right to take my own life but I’m just splitting hairs…I would gladly curl up in a ball and simply waste away. But, I have a 22 yr old daughter…. I can’t just exit.

12. Van Gogh

Susan, thank you for your honesty about
    taking medication for your anxiety and
    depression. As I've said to The Grief
    Warriors (TGW) here, I've taken meds
    for manic depression ( now called
    bipolar disorder) for more than half my
    life. When Linda fell in a weird position
    on the edge of her bed, I couldn't get that
    horrible image out of my head. I suffered
    PTSD, & my manic depression magnified
    the horror. Linda died right before
    Thanksgiving, 2018. I went to the ER
    voluntarily , and was put in a taxi to
    a small psychiatric unit. I woke up to
    see other clients, with depression, manic
    depression, drug & alcohol addictions, etc.
    We had counselor led groups & we cared
    about each other. We sat at a table and
    had a turkey dinner. Bc I had no family or
    friends , this group was my family for 5
    nights. Upon discharge, I met with the
    grief counselor. She kindly suggested
    2 books on grief: Permission to Mourn,
    by Tom Zuba, and The Widower's Notebook, a memoir , by Jonathan
    Santlofer. I recommended them to my
    friends on GIC. When you're ready, you
    can take a look at them. I'm so glad you
    decided to stay with us. I have to keep a
    consistent sleep schedule , of early to bed,
    early to rise, in the summer, so I'll sign off
    now, at 10pm, my time, on the coast of
    Massachusetts. Look forward to "talking"
    with you again, soon. Lou

13. pam9458

pam9458 Member

Hi Lou. My name is Pamela and I recently lost my husband of 41 years. I am also Bi-polar and am struggling with the loss. Also lost my father in 2020 so it's been rough for a couple of years. No family or friends to distract me......how do you get thru it?

Gary166, Van Gogh and Rose69 like this.
  14. pam9458

pam9458 Member

I'm struggling to find a reason to live anymore

Gary166, Van Gogh and Rose69 like this.
  15. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Dear Susan, I really feel for you, I know that now, there are no words that I can say to make you feel better, but believe me, talking with us here will help you along your journey, don't make my mistake of repressing your feelings, denial. It's important to let out all your sorrow,
    and if you feel up to it, you could find a good personal grief counseller to talk to. I relate to you, as I also have a son and daughter in their twenties, and I feel I have to 'pick myself up' for their sakes. Your daughter will give you the strength and reason to help you get through this, she is grieving too, in her own way. I understand you are disappointed that she hasn't chosen to study from home, that's probably how she feels at the moment, she has also received a shock like you, in time, she may have second thoughts and decide she also needs to be close to you. Our friends here have been comforting you so warmly, making you feel at home here, like they have done with me. We are all with you.

Sending you a big hug.
    Rose

Sweetcole and Gary166 like this.
  16. pam9458

pam9458 Member

Understand your pain. Lost my husband of 41 years on 7/2 and feel the same way. The nights are the worst and I don't know if I'll get thru it.

17. Van Gogh

Pam, your post about having manic
    depression ( a phrase I prefer, over bipolar), hit me in the chest. I happened to
    wake up in the middle of the night, got on
    GIC, and found you. Thank you for being
    brave to say your name and to
    reveal your mental illness, like mine. May
    I ask your husbamd's name? I looked up
    your profile, and saw that you're 10 years
    younger than I am, and from West Virginia, the first person on here from that
    state. My wife, Linda, and I got married
    ( first time for both of us) in Las Vegas, in
    our mid 40s. We didn't invite our parents,
    bc they didn't share in our happiness.
    The only people at our wedding were the
    minister & photographer. My wife had one
    blind spot. After our wedding, we came
    back to help her parents, in Massachusetts,
    instead of putting ourselves first. We made
    bad financial decisions , had no friends, and my manic depression got worse, despite my meds, bc of the stress. Due to
    both her blind spot, and my mental illness,
    we ended up living in our car. We drove
    down to Florida to escape the winter. Linda worked as a waitress, but I was in no
    condition to find a job. We had to drive
    back to Massachusetts. On our way, our
    car broke down---- in your state, and we
    had to take a bus to Boston. It was a
    nightmare of living in homeless shelters,
    with some bad people. When Linda died,
    I was consumed with guilt that if only
    Linda had married someone else, she
    would've had an easier life. The grief
    counselor had to guide me . All I did was
    weep. I couldn't sleep, which as you know,
    is the worst for people like us with manic
    depression. She said I should take over the
    counter Melatonin, which is non addictive,
    and helped me relax enough to sleep for a few hours. I no longer felt suicidal. I'm so
    glad you found us on GIC. I call us The
    Grief Warriors ( TGW), bc we leave no one
    alone on the battlefield of grief. Look forward to reading your posts and your
    replies to different threads. Lou

Sweetcole, Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  18. pam9458

pam9458 Member

I feel for you but it sounds like you at least found love. Due to my bi-polar, I take my meds and they help a lot. I also need to take sleeping pills. We struggled to make ends meet with 2 kids but we always managed to have what we needed....I just miss him so much.

19. pam9458

pam9458 Member

My husband loved me completely in spite of my issues. He supported me in any task I undertook. He gave me confidence and taught me to love myself. I wish I had told him this before he passed

20. Van Gogh

Pam, I'm glad you take your meds and
    sleeping pills. Do you see your children
    often? I think it would've been easier,
    and more comforting, to have a child,
    who would be a grow up, now, to help me
    with my loneliness. I am open to having
    a female companion. When Linda became
    ill, she wanted that for me. Lou

Rose69 likes this.