*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

One Year

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by csmith532, Oct 1, 2022.

1. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

I recall trying to explain that feeling of happy that mixes with sad to Deb. She answered she couldn’t even imagine how that would feel. Eventually she shared how she experienced that feeling. And yes you did add to the conversation. Sharing how we met our spouses can be difficult. I recently shared how Ron and I met with a friend and how we shared later on that we each knew that night when I was 16 and Ron was 19 that we had met our soulmate. That’s a happy iced with sad feeling for me every time I think of it. And Ron shared our meeting with everyone. Hope you’re resting Lou. “ Summer”

2. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

3. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Just been reading all your posts, my dear GW friends, it's 7am here, although I've been up a couple of hours already as usual. I just want to wish you all a good night and peaceful dreams.
    Rose.

4. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Summer, I did the same thing you did,
    telling a long time married couple
    how Linda & I met. I did it lovingly ,with
    a smile, and the wife beamed , and said
    how sweet the story was. I don't think I
    could've told this story years ago, without
    weeping. Thank you for remembering that
    I added to your conversation with DEB.
    She found you first. I hope her ears are
    burning, and she will join us again soon,
    with her classic " books" to give comfort
    to others, including new members, like
    Joe. Lou

eyepilot13, Rose69 and Gary166 like this.
  5. eyepilot13

eyepilot13 Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!

Gary166, Rose69, RLC and 1 other person like this.
  6. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Yes, I reached out to Deb early on. I know I tried to help you with the site way back. And I felt like you may have given up for a while and then tried again. I could be wrong of course. It is confusing for new comers and dealing with brain fog. We look for a specific way to start and there really is no right way. That’s why I found the site confusing. Summer

Gary166, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  7. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

Yesterday I heard someone say that Grief is not an emotion.
    Sad, happy, lonely, content, desperate... those are emotions. Those are emotions that we feel.
    But Grief. Grief is a different kind of energy. We experience it in a different way.

I really get that.
    Maybe This is why we don't relate to grief before it happens. If you've never experienced grief you expect it to be a feeling. Something tangible and temporary. From the outside it looks like an emotion. Grief is not an emotion. Grief is a sensation that that we can't describe. We don't have the vocabulary to explain how it moves in us like the ocean. It's not a feeling. It's deeper than that. TGWs share Grief while having different emotional experiences that are unique and similar to each other's.

When I try to "feel" Grief, as we do with emotions, I feel confused. Life doesn't make sense. I don't know how to move.
    When I can just let Grief be here, not fighting it, I feel it sitting inside me and traveling through life with me. It's the attachment and attunement with Kenn, and the life we lived/aren't living here together. Grief ebbs and flows under my life in the world. Through feelings of turmoil and calm, happy and sad, bittersweet and irony. Everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Hollow and Living (somehow) forward. ~B

**Speaking of ironic, George, isn't it odd how Grammar isn't useful when you're trying to communicate how you feel. Sometimes Punctuation stands in the way of art.

Gary166, Sweetcole, Rose69 and 2 others like this.
  8. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

So poetically said. Perfect!

9. Van Gogh

Good memory, Summer! You're exactly
    right. I was angry, depressed, and so
    frustrated that I contacted Karyn Arnold
    to say I was ready to give up. I recall
    reaching out to you, and you were very
    patient & kind. Thank you. LobsterDude,
    as Brother George calls me, among many
    other fun nicknames !......

Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  10. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Lou you make me smile every time you call me Summer. Thank you for that. I had to reach out to Karyn too. And the. I finally got the nerve to spill my heart out and no one answered my post. I was sure I did something wrong. And I stopped looking. Then I finally got an email alerting me that someone responded. As I read his long and caring post I cried. Someone finally understands what I’m feeling. It felt wonderful. Just knowing there’s someone who gets this. And you’re welcome Lou. Summer

11. Van Gogh

Summer, one time, around Halloween,GIC
    system went down. Some members were
    able to get back on, but I was in the
    dark, & furious. I emailed Karyn &
    sarcastically asked if this was a Halloween
    prank. She said no, that the system had
    to be rebooted. A member could see how
    angry I was , & reached out to me
    privately, and we've been emailing and
    texting ever since, in case this happens
    again. Like you, I'm trying to be calm
    & get outside, even in winter, our least
    favorite season. I have to remind myself
    that George, living in the bitterly cold
    winds of greater Chicago, always has it
    worse than we do. Lobster Man

Gary166, RLC and Rose69 like this.
  12. Van Gogh

Bernadine, just reread your powerful
    post on grief. Thank you. As one who
    sees the changing tides and waves of a
    nearby ocean , I'm struck with the
    parallel to grief. It doesn't stand still, and
    is always with us. During a storm, at
    high tide, the ocean seems furious. I've
    felt that about the unfairness of
    Linda not allowed to grow old with me,
    as planned. Other times, there's an
    eerie calm, barely a ripple, on the
    water, and I feel a peace, though a sad
    one. I've sat on the same bench, upon
    which Linda & I sat, looking out to sea.
    As I've said before, I walk with Linda's
    cane for balance. When I sit on that
    bench, I hold the cane she held in her
    hand. Oh how I wish she was physically
    here beside me with that cane. I will
    have to be content with her spirit
    watching over me, and sharing stories
    about Linda with others. Lou

cjpines, Rose69 and Countess Joy like this.
  13. Countess Joy

14. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

15. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Oh, that is so true. Grief is definitely not an emotion, that's why whoever hasn't experienced it cannot possibly comprehend the effects and what it's like to live with grief.
    Emotions can also be temporary, just passing by, like laughing at a joke and then minutes later it's all forgotten, they can be controlled, but grief can't be, it's grief that takes control of our minds, body and soul and we build our lives around it.
    Thank you B for this heartfelt insight.
    Rose

16. Van Gogh

Rose, your concise summary of the
    post by Bernadine, reminds me of Dr.
    Alan Wolfelt's explanations of Center
    for Loss quotations. Woke up very
    early with a headache after many
    dreams about people I don't know, but with
    whom I was involved. So , I appreciated
    your clarity. Thank you. Lou

Gary166, Rose69 and RLC like this.
  17. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Lou I remember that well. I recall you feeling like you were kicked off the site. And this site had it happen again and for such a long time I wasn’t getting the alerts of people posting. After the Halloween reboot I also shared emails with people so we didn’t lose touch. We communicate through emails and texts too. Once Bill , MusicMan, lost his password and he panicked that he would never reach me again. Once he was able to get back on here, his therapist encouraged him to ask me for my email and also shared info with his therapist. Sadly Bill can’t email any more Through his therapist I got his number and he can text short messages. Going to try to rest some more. Robin

18. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

B, I see this picture as a person's spirit leaving its body and rising. Is that what it's saying?

Gary166, eyepilot13 and Van Gogh like this.
  19. Countess Joy

It struck me that way too. Or maybe in dreaming... don't know for sure, it feels reassuring though.