*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

One Year

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by csmith532, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Louster, I've just come back inside after spending another sunny, warm, Autumn afternoon outside in our fields, chopping and gathering wood. I forgot to add that, apart from fresh air, strenuous work also helps clear my mind and not think too much, especially if it's done in the fresh air. I've read that doing exercises, jogging, sports, also help to heal, but I've never been a sporty person, so I take advantage of being able to do 'natural' exercising by doing odd jobs out on the land, among beautiful nature, breathing in pure clean fresh air, may be tiring but I do feel better after that. I've even bought myself a mini battery-powered chainsaw, I think it's my C helping me along here, he's 'lending' me his physical strength, his ideas, his wisdom and know-how.
    I am often amazed at myself, I'm able to get things done, both physically and mentally, even just sorting out tedious official stuff, that I wouldn't have normally done on my own. I seem to have become more assertive, which is something I had been working on with my C, now I want to keep improving and continue letting out my inner strength,as much as I can.

Lou, you have such a delightful way of describing your typical day,
    sounds almost like the setting of a film, creating a calm and peaceful mood, enjoying the company of your friends, eating in your favourite café.
    Wishing you a joyful day.
    The Rose.

2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Karen, I agree with my younger brother,Gary.,He is more well read and
    philosophical than I am. What
    nickname fits him? Louster

Rose69 likes this.
  3. Van Gogh

La Rose, I feel the same about you,in
    the way you paint a picture of your
    daily life. The biggest difference between
    us, is that I need more interaction with
    people than you do, or I can get lonely &
    depressed agsin. Louster

Rose69 likes this.
  4. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Rose I’m sorry that you know so well what I was going through. It’s all scary. I’d say maybe 10 years back the main wire on the peak of my house caught fire. The parents who were out waiting to put their kids on the school bus called 911. No one notified me though. But all the sudden I had fire trucks at my house. The electric company came and told me I needed an electrician and also how lucky I was that it put itself out what I had happen usually takes the whole house. He told me it wasn’t installed correctly. Well, my cousin, licensed and certified electrician did the wiring. The guy from the electric company felt bad for me and he went up and “fixed”. No charge. Fast forward to last month. The new electrician told me the guy just did me a favor it wasn't repaired permanent or right. What you went through sounds terribly scary. Electricity isn’t something to mess with that’s for sure. Like your C, Ron did a lot of the electric work too. And was very careful and did things right like C.
    Rose your house and property sound beautiful, I feel I can picture it from your description. Gathering branches and twigs is the perfect way to get fresh air and stay rejuvenated. I’m sorry you need to hire a handyman to do what you you and C always did together. But that’s how it is now, we do need help and I’m willing to bet C is proud for all you’ve accomplished.

Looks like no beach today. Makes me sad. It’s a gorgeous day. Would feel wonderful to ride out by the ocean and take in that wonderful fresh air. Hoping maybe tomorrow and praying it’s another beautiful day. My daughter forgot our beach plan and really wanted to work on her yard. So she’s mowing and getting things ready for winter. I wish we could pick you u and take you on the beach with us. And that I could see your beautiful property and beautiful woodlands and scenery. But for now I’m enjoying this beautiful fall day by sitting on my deck.
    Hope you are enjoying a sunny day. Robin

DEB321, Gary166, Rose69 and 1 other person like this.
  5. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Lou, I agree, you did deserve a home made meal. Im glad you pushed and got such a nice meal. Sounds like you have so many options there. Sounds wonderful. I am familiar with cheers and that actor. When Cheers had just started Ron and I would try to rush home from Lamaze class to see it. I was pregnant with my daughter. As I just told Rose it’s a picture perfect day here today. SD I’m not getting on the beach but I am enjoying this beautiful day. Hope you are too. Robin

DEB321, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  6. Van Gogh

Yes, I am, Robin. 60s, sunny, great
    people watching & interacting...Louster

Rose69 likes this.
  7. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Rose, I really enjoyed reading this message about you being outside chopping wood in the fall on your property in a rural environment. I also like how you expressed the good feelings and memories it gave you at the end of the day. You and Bernadine impress me as Mother Earth types. You both are Survivalists connected with the plant and animal kingdoms. I’ve been contemplating passing on some of my beloved Cheerful Cheryl’s favorite collections. I’m tired of cleaning them and I want someone else to enjoy. Over the last 4 months I thought about contacting a niece whom Cheryl was Godmother of. We interacted over the last 3 weeks and set a date which was last Friday. Courtney is in her late to mid 20s and has a 1 year old son. To my surprise she made the 50 mile journey with the son. Courtney graciously accepted everything I offered. I loved watching her tend to the son’s needs like a beautiful mother. Yes it was a happy sad event. When I mentioned Cheryl’s name I could see Courtney become sad. Courtney was very respectful and our conversations were minimal but we connected. As we said our goodbyes I told Courtney that Cheryl would be very proud of her for making the journey with the son. Over the past 4 months I felt Cheryl gently nudging me to do this. I was hesitant because of strained relationships with 2 of Cheryl’s sisters. Completing the transfer of Cheryl’s possessions to Courtney has been a major accomplishment in my grief journey. Sometimes I reach to the opposite side of the bed at night grasping Cheryl’s nonphysical hand and tell her I love her. Amazingly today a 18 year old man who was born 5 years after his grandma and I divorced is coming to my home to learn about hunting. I’m looking forward to passing on what I know about nature to this young man. his name is Preston. It’s going to be a great day. Gary

Rose69, Countess Joy, cjpines and 2 others like this.
  8. Van Gogh

Gary, you never cease to amaze me, how
    you grasp the essence of a person in a
    simple phrase. Your use of Mother
    Earth to describe both Bernadine and
    Rose, is spot on. The 3 of you enjoy
    working in nature. I'm different. Having
    grown up doing endless mowing, raking,
    weeding, and shoveling snow, I don't want
    to do any of that in my retirement years.
    I'm fortunate to live in a small apartment
    bldg where the landlord hires workers to
    do those monotonous chores. I feel I've
    paid my dues, both in those chores and
    my jobs. Now, I'm free to walk outside in
    nature, and explore different areas for
    variety. Your stories about Courtney and
    Preston are moving, Gary. I wish you and
    all TGW a glorious Sunday. It will be
    about 60 degrees here, but the warm
    sun makes all the difference for my
    mood. Lou

9. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Thank you Rose, I'm not alone in this feeling of constant sadness and that helps to know it's common still after almost two years. Your comment rings true, "I am him and he is me". K

Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  10. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Thank you B.

Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  11. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary. I like the Mother Earth term very much. I seem to have gone through a complete metamorphosis, ever since I moved here from London, twentynine years ago now. Gone from one extreme to another, I was never one for the bustling city life, I've always preferred quiet, peaceful smaller towns. Now here I am, in open countryside, amongst the hills. I've become so used to having nature all around me, the nearest town is only a 15 minute drive away, so I guess I more or less have the best of both worlds. There are no shops or services here, so we have to go into town for everything we need, but it's a price I'm willing to pay. I didn't even know how to light a fire when I first came here, my C had to show me. He taught me so much, he had lived in town ever since he was born, had his own private clinic there, so we both found ourselves having to adapt to living out in the country and commuting every day, taking our kids to school, going back to pick them up. It was tough at first but then we grew to love it. I owe it to him if I can manage this house and land without him now. I hope I won't let him down.
    A lovely story Gary, about your Cheryl's niece and her little son, I understand how emotional for you it must have been to meet up with her. Now you're going to teach young Preston some hunting techniques, that sounds interesting. What do you hunt?

Rose.

Gary166, Countess Joy and Van Gogh like this.
  12. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Lou, I understand what you mean about shoveling snow, THAT is really the hardest part. I hope we don't get any this year.

Van Gogh likes this.
  13. Van Gogh

Snow can be beautiful on the tree
    branches and grass, but one inch is
    sufficient. I like to walk outside every
    day, and a heavy snow would hinder
    that.We've been lucky that we haven't
    had a bad,snowy winter in several years.
    I can live with the cold, and put on layers,
    but I'm careful not to fall on snow, or
    ice. Lou

Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  14. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Rose, I spent yesterday afternoon on the beach. We picked up sandwiches and walked the beach looking for shells. And watched surfers. Beautiful day. This is the best I can offer for ocean air. That’s my daughters Jeep. Robin

Attached Files:

Van Gogh, Rose69 and Gary166 like this.
  15. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Thanks Rose. Hearing about you and your C moving to the county reminded me a little of the sitcom Green Acres which I dearly loved. My favorite character was Arnold Zifle who was the family pig who liked watching western movies. Thats how it was for me and my ex when we left the big city apartment life at age 34. I didn’t own a lawn mower or snow shovel and didn’t put in a garden until 5 years. My property is 2 acres also. I’m 15 minutes from civilization too. I only hunt deer and I lease the land behind my house. I didn’t go archery hunting last year and I’m going to scrub it this year too. Maybe next year though. I’m not hitting on all cylinders and don’t want to hunt from a tree. I will hunt from tents though. Hunting is extra special here because of the memories I have of Cheryl’s and I roaming the woods together. I told Preston he has to harvest 5 squirrels before he can hunt deer. I took Preston to farthest point in the woods and told him to find his way back. He did and is a good shot. We were together 6 hours and I cooked venison, potatoes, and made a side salad. It was a good time. The most human interaction I’ve had in a weekend for long time. Gary

Countess Joy, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  16. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Wow, Robin, that's great! You can actually drive right onto the beach!
    Thanks for these pics and thank you for your recent post. I would have been honored to have been there with you. I'm so glad you and your daughter spent a lovely time there together.
    My C absolutely adored going on beach holidays, he always said his dream was to own a boat and go out to the sea spending days fishing.
    Rose.

RLC, Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  17. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

HI Gary, I'm happy to hear that you and Preston spent a good time together, sounds like you make a good hunting team. At the moment here, the wild boar hunting season is open, but it doesn't make much difference to the amount of boars that are out here attacking our fields. There are too many, their reproduction rate is incomparable to other wild animals. Apparently, the problem is that many years ago, a different type of boar was imported from Eastern Europe (which reproduces at a much faster rate than our native ones), and now we are inundated with them, as if we didn't already have enough of our own! Although a few years ago, my C, with no hunting experience, did manage to catch one, he had set up a snare trap. These wild animals are often seen strolling along the streets of Rome, a woman who was walking her dogs, was attacked the other day by a 'mother' boar, because her dogs had started barking at the boar and her 'baby boars' she had with her. Luckily she's OK. You can see the video on Internet.
    My C and I also went for rambles in the woods, especially this time of year, looking for chestnuts and mushrooms. These memories are so precious to us, aren't they? We will cherish them and keep them alive forever.
    I don't know that sitcom you mentioned, I'm curious now and will look it up on internet.

Rose.

Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  18. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Yes Rose the memories of our beloved and nature are special. Cheryl and I would go to the woods together when the spring flowers came up. Cheryl was an artist with her camera. I haven’t had the courage to look at many of these photos yet. We liked going to state land, nature preserves, and earthworks too. Cheryl encouraged me to take the Indiana Master Naturalist course which teaches people how to coexist with nature. all the best things in my life have come from Cheryl’s inspiration. We didn’t meet until May of 2012. Cheryl went to the woods one night to help me find a deer. That spot is like sacred ground now. Cheryl told me later she stood watching a screech owl for a while very close and neither were afraid. The wild hogs are causing trouble in Indiana too. I hear they are really bad in the southern states. That’s very impressive about your C catching one in a snare. Gary

Rose69, Countess Joy and Van Gogh like this.
  19. csmith532

csmith532 Well-Known Member

Cali was nice. The weather and seeing the beach especially. Her sister from there will be here at the one year mark on the 29th. Still not sure what to call it. Anniversary seems like a celebration. Hope you are doing well.

-Chad

20. csmith532

csmith532 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I'm glad you found your way here.

-Chad