*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

My sister, Kathleen

Discussion in 'Loss of Sibling' started by Liz C, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Liz C

Liz C New Member

My sister passed away in December of 2015 from a rare aggressive strain of breast cancer. She was diagnosed and passed away in less than a year's time. It was an extreme roller coaster and the hardest thing I've ever dealt with. She was definitely my best friend and it was very difficult to see her go through this and lose her in the end. Now over a year later, I am picking up the pieces. Some days are totally normal and other weeks end up tear filled and anxiety ridden. When those bad times happen, I know its important to ride the waves of emotion all the way through and know it gets better.
    She was such a bright light in my life that I know she definitely would not want me to sit around and be depressed I hold on to that and try to live my life to the fullest way. I think she would continue to be proud of me, as she was always my biggest fan.

Gina Blankenship, Cassandra and JaMei like this.
  2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Thank you Liz, for sharing your story. I often think the ones we've lost can help lead us through the journey of grieving. For as much as we love and know our loved ones, we can often predict what they would want for us or what they'd say to console us as we struggle. By turning to them, even in their absence, we can find solace and comfort and continue to maintain that connection. On those days that you are struggling, remembering who Kathleen was and what she wanted for you may be just what you need to help get you through another day. I am certain that she would be proud of you and the legacy of light that you can continue in her memory.

Gina Blankenship, Cassandra and JaMei like this.
  3. JaMei

JaMei New Member

Cassandra likes this.
  4. JaMei

JaMei New Member

Hi Liz,
    Thank you for posting what you went through with your sister. I lost my younger sister in Aug of 2016 and having the same kind of days you are. Your words and greific's reply are so comforting and i never thought of turning to her when i am grieving and remembering what she would say to me.
    Thank you
    JaMei

5. Cassandra

Cassandra Active Member

I just lost my sister a few weeks ago and this is the hardest thing I've had to experience

Gina Blankenship and Liz C like this.
  6. Cassandra

Cassandra Active Member

I just lost my little sister On August 5 a few weeks ago and this has been the hardest thing she was my best friend

Gina Blankenship and Liz C like this.
  7. Liz C

Liz C New Member

Hi Cassandra, I'm so sad to hear about your sister. It really is an impossible situation to navigate. The best thing I can suggest is listen to your body and allow yourself to grieve. If you need to cry, let yourself. If you need to distract yourself, that is ok too. I meditate on a daily basis using guided mindfulness meditations through a free app called Insight Timer. You don't have to be good at it or experienced at all. Meditation is a beautiful way to allow yourself to sit quietly with your thoughts and let them pass through without all the pain.
    Since my sister's passing, I've become a health coach that specializes in anxiety so please don't hesitate to ask me any questions if you have a need.
    My sincere sympathies for your loss,
    Liz

Gina Blankenship likes this.
  8. Kay

Kay New Member

Hi my name is Kav, I lost my sister to cancer on August 8, 2017. she did not even know she had cancer. She got sick went to the hospital and less than 3 weeks later she died.

9. Liz C

Liz C New Member

Hi Kav,
    That is so hard. I am sorry to hear about your sister's sudden passing. I find it is especially hard during the holidays, since my sister passed on 12/9 and its right in the middle of all the holiday hustle and bustle. I don't really want to participate in as many holiday activities as I used to and I am just mindful of my emotions and let myself feel them a bit. You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and eventually it becomes more natural. I hope you are doing alright.

10. Hannah Laudo

Hannah Laudo Member

Hi Liz,
    I know exactly how you feel when you say that on days when your grief is getting the best of you, you think to yourself that your loved one wouldn't want you to be upset. Some days that is the one thing that will get me through the day, Even though my sister Taylor was never able to grow up and go to college, I know she would be proud of me for pushing through the grief even on the hard days.

Sending all positive thoughts your way,