*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Lost my cousin to heroin

Discussion in 'Loss from Substance Abuse' started by ACarl1001, Mar 31, 2022.

1. ACarl1001

ACarl1001 New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I recently lost a cousin I was very close to, to heroin. I'm finding it difficult to accept, and difficult to move forward. Just reaching out to kinda talk through this I guess.

2. wolfdream

wolfdream Active Member

Hey ACarl,

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved cousin. The grief you feel is the love you had for them.
    Grief is a long road and a lifelong one, because the love never stops.
    There is no pressure to 'accept' or 'move forward' as it only just happened so you are just trying to cope with the shock.
    In the beginning it's perfectly okay to NOT want to accept your love one died! You feel helpless, powerless, defeated, broken, and a million more things.
    I did not want to accept drugs completely destroyed my soulmate. I did not accept that they took him from me. I was angry, I was scared.
    Sometimes there's this pressure to get through things and get the grief over with.
    But our hearts have the wisdom and will heal us through one tear and emotion at a time.

I found writing helped, with a traumatic sudden loss, to get the spinning thoughts out. The worries, doubts, guilt, anger,...
    This is really hard and tiring. I hope you can take good care of yourself, to the best of your ability. This is a lot!

Warm thoughts to you

ACarl1001 likes this.
  3. nachochicken

nachochicken New Member

I’m here with you, I just lost my sister the same way.I’m sorry for your loss.