*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Loss of granddaughter-looking for friends that understand

Discussion in 'Loss of Child' started by KAT0108, Feb 12, 2020.

1. KAT0108

KAT0108 New Member

My name is Kelly. My 9 year old granddaughter has been gone almost 5 years. We’ve recently moved from Illinois to Cary. Trying to find a way to live, make a new start. Has t worked out so well.
    Any moms or grandmothers in the area that want to get together and - cry?

2. paulajstringer

paulajstringer New Member

Hi, Kelly, my name is Paula, I recently lost my 2-1/2 year old granddaughter on January 25th, would love to chat with you...

3. KAT0108

KAT0108 New Member

Paula,

I am so very sorry to have this in common. But I thank you with all my heart for responding. I have found that talking and connecting with someone who understands this kind of pain, sadly helps.

I lost my beautiful granddaughter , Lexi almost 5 years ago. I can’t even type out her name without crying. She is everything to me. We were so close. Closer than I am with anyone else. She was in an ATV accident.

Tell me about your granddaughter. What is her name? Are you finding support for yourself? How is your daughter/son?

4. paulajstringer

Good morning, Kelly, I'm still navigating around this site being new here, I just joined last night. It would be so nice to have friends like you who have shared similar grief.

My granddaughter was 2-1/2 years old, her name is Charlotte, and she was hit by a car in her driveway. It was a tragic accident, so an unexpected and sudden loss. I've been more concerned with support for my daughter and son-in-law and my 2 surviving grandsons with this loss, but I'm considering counseling for myself as well. My son-in-law started counseling last week, and both boys started yesterday, however, my daughter says she is not ready yet. I feel each of us getting a little stronger each week, but as you know it's a daily thing, some days are just better than others as feelings and emotions come and go.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and after 5 years does it get any better or easier? We're coming up on 4 weeks since she's been gone, so it's very recent. I've lost both parents, a husband in 2018, and my brother in 2019, but this loss has been the hardest for me.

Thank you for replying to me, I look forward to sharing with you...wish we could go to lunch and talk and cry together. I'm in Houston, where are you located if you're comfortable to share.

Paula

5. KAT0108

KAT0108 New Member

Paula,
    I’m not sure if our thread is private or can be seen by anyone on this site. My number is 815-212-3791. I’m on Facebook, though I don’t go on much but you can find me and IM me there, too. If you’re in agreement, I would rather text directly. You can call me, too. If you’d rather post here that’s fine I’m just not sure about the privacy.

I’m so sorry for your family. I do know exactly what you are going through. Lexi’s accident was sudden , also. No goodbye’s. I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing or not. I went to counseling twice. Therapist said she doesn’t have a magic wand. Very harsh, but true. I don’t feel anyone can help me come to terms with this so I haven’t gone back. We also tried family counseling. That was a joke. I just don’t think someone can help if they haven’t been through it. The most help I’ve gotten is through The Compassionate Friends group I went to in Chicago. We moved to North Carolina in September. Trying to find a new start. I don’t really connect with the group here so I haven’t had anyone to talk to.

It’s unbelievable to me that 5 years has passed. No. It doesn’t get easier. I cry everyday. Several times. You go from raw grief, where you are at now, to a numbing sort of grief where I am. Nothing really matters to me. Love my family and I try for them but it’s hard to find any happiness at all.

I have to leave for work. Text me here, my phone or Facebook. Whichever you’re comfortable with. I wish we were closer, too!

6. paulajstringer

I'll text you on your phone next time, and I'll send a friend request on Facebook, thank you so much!