*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Grieving the sudden lost of my father

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by CandaceLP, Feb 24, 2022.

1. CandaceLP

CandaceLP New Member

On January 17th, I received a telephone call from my father, he told me he wasn't feeling well and asked me to come over. I live only a few houses away so I was there within minutes. Upon arriving, I found him on the phone with 911 and he was unable to speak to the operator and he was barely hanging on to the counter. I took the phone and gave them the info. I had to help my father to the floor and then was asked by the 911 operator to do chest compressions. I had never experienced anything like that before, but I know that I was giving it my absolute all. The EMT's arrived shortly after as I was just beginning to get tired. I held my fathers had as they worked on him, he still had a pulse and was still breathing. They asked him a question and he shook his head. They placed him on the stretcher and was they wheeled him out of the house I told him "They got you now, you're going to be ok". I followed him to the hospital and contacted my mother and two brothers. We were placed in a waiting room and within just a couple of hours we were informed that he had passed from a cardiac arrest due to very low potassium. He didn't get regular check ups so we weren't aware of an existing condition. Its been a little over a month now and I still feel like I can't breath sometimes. I know that I was blessed to have a loving father for 38 years of my life. I'm so incredibly heart broken.

2. magneticzero

magneticzero New Member

I’m so sorry. I can relate to some of what you experienced, my father passed suddenly from similar issues last year. Those few months afterward were like a haze. I truly hope you have some folks you can dump on or cry with when things get tough. It’s so hard, I feel your pain. Xoxo

Phoenyx likes this.
  3. CandaceLP

CandaceLP New Member

Thank you very much ♥️. I’m lucky to have a large family that is close and a lot of caring friends. I still feel this heaviness on my shoulders but every now and then I have moments of relief.. baby steps ♥️

4. CourtInTheMoon

CourtInTheMoon New Member

I'm so incredibly sorry. I too just lost my father (On 4/26) he died suddenly from complications from alcoholism and I was not able to get there in time to see them working on him but shortly after I got there, he died.

I myself am 38 years old too and with it just being so sudden it has really been hard to accept it all. I know my grief is still very new but it's just so incredibly heartbreaking.

5. SepSam

SepSam Member

I am sorry for your loss. I lost my dad less than a year ago and I was unable to go and visit him for the last time.
    It hurts.

6. Hulalappi

Hulalappi New Member

I know about this. It is so sudden that you barely have time to process it.

In my case my father had a heart attack but mom did what she could to reanimate him and he luved two more days. It gave us time enough to process it. But I think your case was more catastrophic. I'm really sorry for your loss.

7. Hulalappi

Hulalappi New Member

Yes, in my case too. I couldn't say goodbye to my dad and make things right for the last time. It is really sad, indeed.

8. Oyin

Oyin New Member

I can imagine what you are going through. I lost my mother who had been quite well and active last week. She had an incredibly active day before she passed. With sudden death, you are never able to say a satisfactory goodbye. I pray you find peace and comfort.