*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Advice needed after losing my dad.

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Mcampbell, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Mcampbell

Mcampbell New Member

I am 23 years old. My dad was only 46. I lost my dad on 12/26/23. However, he remained on life support until 12/29 to donate his organs, so the last week has been moving so slowly while also feeling like it’s moving at the speed of light. I’m no stranger to grief and loss, but I have never felt it in this magnitude.
    I guess my whole reason for posting here is to get advice. I don’t know that I’m ready to share my story yet, as I am already having to relive it 24/7. For people who have lost their parents, how did you get through those beginning weeks and months? I feel like my body has been on total autopilot and I can’t even begin to understand what is actually happening. My parents are divorced and my other sibling didn’t have a relationship with my dad, so I was left to do everything that has to be done after someone dies.
    I am a parent to a toddler. I genuinely have no idea how I’m supposed to keep being this great mom while also feeling all of this? How did you navigate being a parent and dealing with this profound loss? As I’m sure you can tell, this is all very new and I am simply wanting whatever advice you have to offer so that this feels a little bit less terrifying.