*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Loss of my Husband

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Janiceanne, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Janiceanne

Janiceanne Guest

Tom had been ill for some time but was in home Hospice care from the end of June until September 16 when he went to the inpatient Hospice facility. I was no longer able to take care of him and control the pain at home. I never wanted him to leave our home but with all the medication I had available the pain was too extreme at the end. He was diagnosed with invasive Melanoma had been on Immunotherapy (Optivo) as the only possible therapy to help stop the spread of Melanoma. The therapy gave him Type I diabetes which complicated his life and care. We worked together to get as much time as we could. We loved each other so very much. This Holiday Season with Christmas coming up soon is a very difficult time for me. I go through all the motions but my best friend and lover is missing.

2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Janiceanne,let me be the first to say how
    extremely sorry I am to hear about the
    death of your beloved soulmate,Tom.
    You've come to the right place on the
    Grief in Common ( GIC) site.We are
    kind widowed people who get the
    suffering of grief,and are here to
    welcome you. There are 3 other widows
    from your state of South Carolina: Patti,
    Helena, and Deb. My user name is Van
    Gogh, but my name is Lou, & I'm 73. My
    wife, Linda , died suddenly , in front of me,
    4 years ago. She was 68. We were married
    25 years, no children. I live on the
    northern coast of Massachusetts, and,like
    you, the timeless ocean gives me
    comfort. You were brave to say your
    name and Tom's. I hope you will stay
    with us, Janiceanne. Lou

Sweetcole, Gary166, DEB321 and 2 others like this.
  3. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Janiceanne, my heart goes out to you. May I express my total sympathy and support for you, in having lost your beloved soulmate.
    Just like our dear friend Lou, who has kindly just replied to you, I also lost my husband after 25 years of marriage. I have two children in their twenties. My darling C was only 57 years old when a sudden heart attack cruelly tore him away from us in a matter of minutes.
    You will find comfort here, sharing with everyone who will understand exactly what you're going through. I thank this site which I joined in May this year, they have all helped me so much, listening to me and sharing our feelings.

Take care of yourself, sending you strength.
    Rose.

Sweetcole, Gary166, DEB321 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

Lou, it must be very late for you there now, I hope you're not having trouble sleeping. I was already up at 5.30.
    All the best to you.
    Rose

Gary166, DEB321, RLC and 1 other person like this.
  5. Van Gogh

Thank you, Rose, for being the 2nd person,
    after me, to welcome & to give comfort to
    Janiceanne over the death of her soulmate,
    Tom. I'm sure other Grief Warriors will
    follow. Lou

Gary166, RLC and Rose69 like this.
  6. Van Gogh

Rose. Thank you for your concern. It's
    been cold, in the 30s here, so I went to
    bed early, exhausted from walking in the
    cold air. When I awoke briefly just now,
    I saw the post by Janiceanne. and wanted
    to reply to her before going back to
    sleep. Hope you can break the 5:30am
    habit. Lou

Gary166, DEB321, RLC and 1 other person like this.
  7. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

JaniceAnne, I’m so sorry for the loss of your husband. You and your husband sound like a very special couple. I feel the love you have for him. You did so much to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. I know he appreciated everything you did. And he lives on within you. You each helped mold the other into the people you became. The holidays are such a difficult time, I know your pain. As so does everyone on this site. I lost my husband Ron 4 years ago right before thanksgiving. He suffered a massive heart attack and in 2 hours was gone from my life. The world turned upside down and nothing was the same again. I hope you have family and friends offering support. I see you love the same things I do. Fresh air is so helpful, try to go outside each day. Gardening and the beach are the things that keep me going. Ron is my inspiration to keep pushing. This site has helped more then I ever expected. Visit often and read and share stories. Everyone on here knows first hand the struggles and pain that come with such a loss. We’re all here to offer help and support. Remember to take care of you. Robin

Sweetcole, Rose69, Gary166 and 2 others like this.
  8. Van Gogh

Robin, I was the first to welcome & give
    comfort to Janiceanne, followed by
    Rose, in Italy. I woke up in the middle of
    the night and read your kind post to
    Janiceanne, and that you had done some
    research about her activities in South
    Carolina: the beach and gardening, which
    you share. As you know, I love the ocean ,
    but not gardening. I told Janiceanne that
    3 other widow friends live in South
    Carolina: Patti, Helena, and Deb. I really
    hope Janiceanne stays with us. Lou

RLC, Rose69 and Gary166 like this.
  9. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Janiceanne,

At times like this words seem so inadequate, so shallow, but since they're all we have, I hope you know how truly sorry I am, your husband, Tom, passed away. My husband, Bob, died in April last year. Like Tom, Bob had been sick for many years prior to his death. Taking care of Bob was the hardest job I've ever had to do, but would gladly do it all over again, if I could. It's been 20 months since Bob died, and I'm not sure I would have survived the total heartbreak all of us are suffering from, if it wasn't for the support of my GIC "family."

I'm so glad some of my friends have already welcomed you to our "family." I didn't find GIC until several months after Bob died, but it was the very best thing I could have done for myself. We're always here to "listen," share our stories, and sometimes offer advice. However, this is a judgement free zone, you can take our advice or toss it, we'll be here for you just the same.

As others have said, I hope you stick around, get to "know" us, give us the chance to get to "know" you. You will be amazed at how much support you will find here. Knowing that you're not alone, can make all the difference in the world. I always feel at least a little bit better after visiting, and I hope you will too.

Sending you lots of hugs and love, wishing you peace, all of us peace. DEB

Rose69, Countess Joy, Gary166 and 2 others like this.
  10. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Thank you Lou, I hope she stays on the site because it is so helpful. There’s no way of realizing just how helpful this site will be until experiencing it first hand. Her loss is very resent and probably not doing much of anything. Except trying to get through each day. I know after my family all went home I sat at the kitchen table pretty much all day every day. I felt paralyzed. If my daughter didn’t move back in with me I probably would have stayed there all night too. We did continue sleeping together in my living rm on my sectional couch for a long time. Not sure why I’m reliving that except I’m thinking of janiceanne and feeling her pain. I actually got some sleep last night. First in a very long time.
    Lou you must be having this cold I’m experiencing. It’s brutal. Stay warm. I know you told me you’re not staying in. You’re taking a bus to a different area. Please be careful. Robin

DEB321, Countess Joy, Gary166 and 2 others like this.
  11. Van Gogh

Thanks, Robin, I refuse to let the cold &
    gray get me down. Variety is the spice of
    life: My friend, whose soulmate died , & I
    are going to a brand new, well lit bar/
    restaurant, open all year round, in our
    small town. It's my new CHEERS bar, in
    addition to the cafe with live music.
    Stay well, and get your sleep, Robin! Lou

DEB321, Rose69 and Gary166 like this.
  12. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

I’m trying Lou. Enjoy your outing at your new CHEERS! Sounds fun. The cold has become too much for me. This wind we’re having makes it go right through you. I know others on here have it worse. I don’t know how they do it. They’re stronger then me. Have a good evening Lou. Robin

Rose69, Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.
  13. Van Gogh

Thanks, Robin. I agree about the wind
    going through us as we age, and it does
    a job on our arthritis. I don't
    walk in the cold dark night. My friend,
    who's younger, drops me off at the door
    of a restaurant while he parks his car. Lou

14. Sweetcole

Sweetcole Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. The holidays are definitely hard to get through without your better half. Your loss is very recent so don't push yourself too. Continue to take deep breaths, walks whatever gives you some type relief. I keep.busy with my kids and if it wasn't for them I'd boycott the holidays. You are in the right place. Like some.friends have said we all get what you going through. You can.be here and say whatever you like without judgement. I pray you get stronger with each passing day.

DEB321, Rose69, RLC and 2 others like this.
  15. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

Gosh, Janiceanne, I've just read responses to you here and there is not much more I can say that hasn't been said here. I lost my husband 2 years ago to Sarcoma. And like you he came home with Hospice and was gone in two weeks. I sympathize with you not being able to care for Tom at home even with hospice. I considered inpatient too, but the drive was too far for me to visit him, so I finally hired a care worker to come in every day in the mornings to help me as well as hospice workers.
    I have been on this site for two years now and have found I can say anything that I can't say to my family or friends with no judgements at all. It's just that people who have never lost a love one just don't get it.
    So, please follow us, we are your friends that share our grief as well as our daily lives good or bad. My nickname is Ms Hum because I'm always saying, hum when I'm thinking about a comment, so if you see Ms Hum or other nicknames on here you will know they are not real names. It's just a fun way of getting through this horrible journey. Blessings to you, Janiceanne -- Karen

Sweetcole, DEB321, Gary166 and 2 others like this.
  16. Deborah A.

Deborah A. Well-Known Member

I am so sorry about the pain you are feeling. It means that you loved deeply. You are not alone!! And you will feel that connection again with others through grief. To love and lose is to experience profound loss.

17. Deborah A.

I’m so sorry about your loss! The depth of your pain reflects the love that you shared! You are not alone!

18. Deborah A.

In a way, this pain is an echo of your deep love and the joy you shared.

DEB321, Gary166, Rose69 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Van Gogh

Deborah, thank you so much for reaching
    out to welcome & comfort Janiceanne, as
    many of us on Grief in Common (GIC)
    have. But, the death of her soulmate, Tom,
    is so recent that she may not be emotionally ready to join us, if ever.
    We can only do our part. My wife ,
    Linda, died suddenly , right in front of
    me. She was 68. We were married 25 years,no children. That was 4 years ago,
    but I cry every morning. We never
    "get over" our grief, but somehow plow
    through it. My name is Lou. Hope you
    will stay with us, Deborah. You've
    already showed your kindness.

DEB321, Gary166 and Rose69 like this.
  20. Deborah A.

Losing a soulmate is a pain reflective of the joy and deep love we shared! I am so deeply sorry for your loss!!