*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Sudden, Surreal & Blank Canvas

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by KVR, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ainie

ainie Well-Known Member

Dear Abc My heart aches for you. HUG...long hug. Night time can be so awful when you are alone in a bed meant for two. I wear his shirts as pjs and won''t put a pillowcase on his pillow because I think I can still smell him on it. I have found doing a jigsaw puzzle helps on those nights I am beside myself with the tossing, and turning, and crying. It takes no concentration but is enough to settle my mind from the "if only". You are so right that it will never be the same again but I believe that life can be good even though we have been forced to change. My pastor told me a good way to honour Mike's memory would be to think of those precious traits that I loved so much about him, his kindness, his strength, his love of people, etc , and try to emulate those traits myself. I will never be as good a person as he was but I try. In his honour I am trying.

2. Abc

Abc Guest

Thanks David and Ainie. It's funny you picked that song by three doors down, Steve would often send me that song when I was gone on 36 hours shifts. It's life I guess. I feel so tired emotionally and mentally. Maybe someday it will get better. You're so right Ainie, I haven't slept in our bed since Steve left, 3weeks ago. I just can't get around to it. It's unbearable. So I sleep on the couch or in the other bedroom. Maybe someday I might feel strong enough to sleep in our bed again. I feel like a broken soul, shattered to the core. I don't know anything anymore. My mind is too exhausted to think straight. Everything seems pointless.

3. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Abc, I understand you not sleeping in your bed, it is hard. I felt the same, it took me quite a while before I was able to even try. Our bedroom just felt so lonely I did t d do want to step in. But over time I was able to get back in our bed I didn’t sleep for many nights but I felt I needed to keep trying. I’ve always had trouble sleeping and it got worse after Ron passed and still difficult to sleep now. I try because I know Ron would want me to. Ron is my inspiration for trying and pushing forward. Like Ainie, I sleep in his shirts, and wear his flannels or sweaters so I feel closer to him. I believe most if not everyone on this site find the nights to be the hardest time to get through. So you’re not alone, we understand.
    Give yourself time. As much as you need. There is no time frame.
    Robin

4. Abc

Abc Guest

I don't think I can do this any longer. It's just too much on me. Everything reminds me of him. His voice, his laugh, all the things he'd say, they just keep running through my head over and over and over. I am losing my mind. This pain is unbearable. I am seriously considering suicide. I can't live like this forever. Haunted by his memories, his face, his voice. I need some respite from this heartache, I can't do this anymore. I wanted to thank you for talking to me. Maybe I'm hopeless and I'm sorry if I disappointed you.

5. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

Abc,

Please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) to reach a trained counselor. Please.

6. David Hughes

I will also remain here online. So that if you wish to talk that is also ok.

-david

7. ainie

ainie Well-Known Member

Dear Abc. You can do this. I try to look at the memories of Mike as precious, I keep them close. It will get better. Those memories will become sweet rather than haunting. Please don't carry through on your thoughts of suicide. There are many reasons to live despite your pain. You mentioned you haven't reached out to your parents about your pain, consider it. My parents endured the deaths of two of my brothers and their pain was so devastating, perhaps even more than mine with losing Mike. As a doc you will save many parents from this kind of pain. Big reasons to go on. It has only been 3 weeks. You are so very, very early on the road of grief. It really does get easier. You can do this one day at a time, one hour at a time, even one minute at a time if necessary.

8. David Hughes

Abc,

Thank you for talking. If I could reach out and hug you I would. I know when we love, we give ourselves away to another. It is so tragic when we lose the most special person in our life.

Abc, it required 5 years for me to finally be able to accept the loss of my wife. All I wanted to do was talk. All I wanted was a response from others.

I am here for you, as are everyone of us. Please reach out, please call the number. I will be here for you for as long as you wish.

-david

musicgirl likes this.
  9. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Abc,
    Please call the suicide prevention lifeline

+18002738255

Please reach out, for support and help. The person you are is so needed in the world, you’re a care giver, you chose that for a reason. That’s the person you are. But please think of your parents, please reach out to them, they love you as does so many others.

Begging you please make that call. People care, we care.

Robin

10. David Hughes

11. musicgirl

musicgirl New Member

12. David Hughes

Musicgirl,

The most touching moment is when the hospice nurse comes in with a candle and a prayer. She walks to the window lights the candle, and then says the prayer. There were about 12 people in the room, the adjacent rooms were so quiet. It is a moment that is etched in my mind and I am sure theirs. There are no more words.

musicgirl likes this.
  13. Abc

Abc Guest

Please don't inform anyone. I can't get help, it will go on my chart forever.

14. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Just a reminder, everything that is said here is confidential and private.
    Abc, I know we've been in touch separately and please know you can continue to reach out that way as well.
    As a reminder for anyone on this thread - if ever in crisis there is more support available that is confidential and can be a help 24/7 with talk and text options: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org - 1-800-273-8255

Don't give up. It does get better. It won't always feel like this.

ainie likes this.
  15. ainie

ainie Well-Known Member

Dear Abc: I understand. Unfortunately there is a difficulty in our society if the helper has needed help. We will be here for you. HUGS. It will get better, I promise. I was you 5+ months ago ... today I visited Mike's grave and sat and drank a cup of tea with him and talked about this virus and I was ok. It does get easier. You will eventually feel so blessed for the time and the love you had together. The memories become precious, not painful.

16. Abc

Abc Guest

Yeah I suppose, someday it might get better. Thank you.

17. David Hughes

Abc,

I hope you were able to get some rest. I know turning on the news can be so depressing.

I think that is why I love watching the animal channel so much. They bring joy to us all.

-david

For instance look at this

RLC likes this.
  18. Abc

Abc Guest

Yes I got some more sleep, thank you. Yes these animals are cute. Thanks David.

19. musicgirl

musicgirl New Member

This by far the most beautiful picture in my mind and heart. Thank you david. This somehow makes me very peaceful inside.

20. David Hughes

Musicgirl, those who work hospice treat those who are passing so beautifully. When the suffering is about to come to end, they have such an amazing ceremony for those being left behind.

I was standing along with Linda, her sister, and her favorite niece Lisa right next to Nadine on the bed as she passed. Of course it was tough to see, but I knew she would no longer suffer.

I am still emotional when I think of those final moments.

When Mike and Chris and I walked out that night, there were no more words, only tears in our

eyes and a heavy pain in our mind. Yes, leaving someone for the final time is heartbreaking and one that will live on in everyone's mind.

-david