*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Sudden loss of my dad

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Cloudsclouds, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Cloudsclouds

Cloudsclouds Member

Hi all, I’m new here. I very recently lost my dad to sudden heart failure. It is very shocking as far as we all knew he was very healthy and fit. I got a call that he had collapsed, rushed to the hospital, met up with my family, and about 5 minutes after I got there they told us he was gone. Just like that. I just can’t believe it. We were really close and saw each other a few times a week, texted most other days. The day he passed away was also my very first wedding anniversary with my husband, and the day he found out he was going to have a grandchild. It just seems like so many things happened that day, it’s so overwhelming and devastating. Has anyone else experienced sudden traumatic loss?

2. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your father. A number of people here have experienced sudden loss. I lost my mother suddenly in May. She was feeling tired all day Friday and went to bed early. By the next morning, she was gone.

3. akd972

akd972 New Member

I lost my dad suddenly in December 2017, ten days after my daughter was born. He had a sudden stroke while hunting. We talked several times a day with each other. He was my go to guy. I miss him very much.

He and my mom had been divorced for 9 years when he passed away. They stayed friends because they have grandchildren together and for my sake. When he passed, she didn't handle the loss well at all. I am an only child and made the medical decision to take Dad off the ventilator as I know that is what he would have wanted. He didn't want to be hooked up to all those machines not being able to get out of bed and play with his grandbabies. He lived for a short time off the machine and my husband and I took him home on hospice for 2 days then he was gone. I still want to pick up the phone and call him when one of the kids learns something new or does something really funny.

Ruby74 likes this.