*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Power of Music

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by paul tinker, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Collection

Collection Member

hand me the world - on a silver platter, and what good would it be - with no one to share - with no one who truly cares for me.
    Some people want it all - but I don't want nothing at all - if it ain't you baby, if I ain't got you baby
    Yup, that's Alicia Keys - song title (if I ain't got you) in this video - she actually do lose her man

Dave33085 likes this.
  2. paul tinker

paul tinker Well-Known Member

Grace Slick ; Need someone to love

3. Dave33085

Dave33085 Well-Known Member

I think the Beatles had a song about wanting someone to love. I believe it was "a little help from my friends" and for that, I thank you all.

4. paul tinker

Dave yes and the Joe Cocker version is moving Usually when I type something is on. That would be Jackson Brown: Stay just a little bit longer. She, of course, loved that song and most of JB. Several times IN SF in the early days.

LindaH and Dave33085 like this.
  5. skies24

skies24 Well-Known Member

Me and my roommate/best friend spent every weekend watching you tube music videos on this projector screen we have. She passed away Jan 22 at the age of 32 suddenly. I haven't been able to turn on that projector screen since she passed. But I do still listen to music. Just all sad songs. James Taylor: Fire & Rain, Ed Sheeran: Supermarket Flowers, Chris Young: Drowning. I wonder if I'll be able to turn on hat screen projector again. I look forward to feeling normal again and listening to music without crying.

David Hughes likes this.
  6. paul tinker

skies24

Not sure about the projector that was a unique experience shared no doubt with a unique friend. Music is emotion and does change as we do but sad is on the menu and should be. I hit the rockers hard and gospel, some bab boys of the country for a very long time. Lately softer. Miles Davis and a new band Psychic Ills that are somewhat like the Ventures and instrumental. Similiar. With my nerves as raw as they are noot ACDC anytime soon. R and B, Romantic, Redding Dock on the Bay. Varies a lot. Good that we have music. Right mood right time.

David Hughes likes this.
  7. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

skies24, When I noticed Paul had started this thread, I knew it would connect with a lot of us. skies24, while you may be feeling depressed for the loss of your roomie/best friend, Paul by making this thread has helped a lot of people think of so many things in their lives.

Sure you are feeling bad, you can't help but be. Music is so much to us all, it opens so many things inside each of us. It helps us relax, It helps us cry, it helps us talk to another, it helps us show our love for someone, and it helps us fill our lives with so many beautiful thoughts.

So many memories are brought back to the surface we night long have forgotten. This thread is stellar and one we all need in our lives. When we are loneyly it helps us not feel that way.

I remember, turning on the radio as a kid and listening to so much music. My parents had a treasure trove of albums and many tapes.

skies24, even those sad songs you speak of help you heal, you just don't realize it right now. When you feel, you want to express yourself. Those special artist out there put so much thought into what they created for us all, there is a vast wealth for each of us to discover.

skies24, As you play those songs I wouldn't be surprise if some of them songs help you vividly remember so many great memories you each shared together. Please don't give up, but keep listening and let music touch your heart and mind. Those tears, as you shed them are you way of you expressing yourself, for the kinship you had with the one you lost.

So for now you keep on playing what drives your spirit the most, and the music will help you heal. Just remember, your grief will take time to overcome it. Don't rush your feelings, the music will drive you.

skies24, I think you would be surprised at how long sad songs have been around. So many groups, from our past were singing of their feelings, a lot of them were sad and how they wish they could overcome their emotions.

I can remember, in the military, overseas in a club, away from home, being lonely and someone would select something from the jukebox or a group would play a request song, and all of the sudden the club would come alive. We would all start to sing along, even if the song was a sad song such as

and of course this beauty

So just play what your heart desires for now. Life will slowly move forward for you eventually.

david

LindaH likes this.
  8. Dave33085

Dave33085 Well-Known Member

You will, in time. Not saying that the songs and music won't stir up some feelings (some wanted, some not) but you will in time. These feelings you have now will get softer. Never go away but get softer. The music will always let you know you are alive because it has a way of moving us. I'm sorry for your loss. Hang in there. They say time heals all wounds. I believe this to be true to a point. I'm not sure that a wound from losing someone that you love ever completely heals but it will get better, I promise. It's been over two years now that I lost my wife. Some days when I'm feeling really low, I play our wedding song and just sit there and sob. Then I ask myself why am I torturing myself and I turn it off only to feel that listening to that song was just what I needed to feel better. There are good memories mixed in with the feelings you are having right now. Give them time to surface and then try to hold on to them.

LindaH likes this.
  9. paul tinker

Skies24

Your post did get some very good responses. Both David and Dave 33085 could not have expressed or written any better. I often see on this site some exchanges that we the grieving can perhaps only get here. The word Grief is a derived French word and in use about the 15th century and translated is to burdon. So many new meanings and definitions are more current. It was the first thing I looked up and was followed by it is a process. We are all doing the process. I hope the heartfelt responses lift your burden just a little.