*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Power of Music

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by paul tinker, Mar 9, 2019.

1. LindaH

LindaH Well-Known Member

Dave,
    My husband use to sing the same way to me.
    He would request to have it played each time we went to the company Christmas parties.

I will probably always cry now when I hear it.

2. Dave33085

Dave33085 Well-Known Member

I know Linda, the same here. After 33 years of marriage and 7 years of dating prior to that, my wife and I attended many weddings, Christmas parties and the like that I have so many memories of. I miss her so much when I start thinking about it.

LindaH likes this.
  3. paul tinker

paul tinker Well-Known Member

Dave yes the sadness but what a wonderful memory. Thanks, for sharing.

LindaH likes this.
  4. Dave33085

Paul, I see that you were married 40 years. I was looking forward to our 40 th but she didn't make it. Although we spent almost that much time together (high school sweethearts). Cancer just sucks. It's cruel and heartless and it doesn't care who it attacks. My wife and I were a big part of the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. We helped raise over a million dollars for ACS. I hope and pray that we find a cure for this awful disease. If they can find out what EXACTLY causes it, maybe they could find a cure.

LindaH and paul tinker like this.
  5. paul tinker

Dave you know here we experience so many that cancer took. I met a man who is diabetic and cancer has touched so many. doctor treated s leg issue as an infection. It was cancer and was not treated as such. Now missing well above the knee.. a portion of the leg to make sure the cancer was removed. This man was amazingly not bitter. I have donated to Hospice and will again for their human and compassionate treatment of Kay in our last weeks. Your active fundraising is fantastic and I to hope it furthers the cause for a cure. The minimum is the more advanced teats and screening to get ahead of the condition. I think people are aware of the lifestyle changes to at least limit the potential cause.

LindaH likes this.
  6. Dave33085

The thing that stumps me is that there are so many like my wife that ate good, exercised, didn't smoke or drink but end up with cancer. As I said, if they can find the cause, they can find a cure. And hospice is awesome. They cared for my wife the last few days of her life and I can't say enough good about them. May God bless them for what they do.

LindaH likes this.
  7. LindaH

LindaH Well-Known Member

So true! Even though songs bring sadness...they also bring beautiful memories.

8. TLD

TLD Active Member

One of the very first songs my boyfriend deemed "our song" was Consolation...by Vertical Horizon. I listened to it and it made me cry, it was very meaningful. We didn't quite understand all the lyrics and what they meant.....but we knew it was something special. Now that he has passed the lyrics completely make sense ....i think he knew i would need this song in the future. He was truly a special man. I miss him so very much...every minute of everyday.

LindaH likes this.
  9. Dave33085

Sorry for your loss TLD. It's amazing the way music can move us in any direction. It can make us happy, make is sad. It can motivate us and make you laugh, cry or finish something you started and never finished. It's a powerful thing. I'm not familiar with your song but I'm going to look it up. Have a great evening.

10. paul tinker

TlD glad you have this special music. I agree with Dave. So many emotion is in our music. The memories with them bring us closer to our person and are moments that were shared.

Happy for you.

Paul M

11. Dave33085

Hey Paul, I'm a big Willie Nelson fan too just not fond of his politics. One of my favorites is "blue eyes crying in the rain". Whiskey River helps sometimes too. My kids used to dance around the house to that song when they were in diapers

12. TLD

TLD Active Member

I love Just Breathe ...by Willie and his son. Beautiful

13. Dave33085

Yes! Good song. I like Faith Hill's "breathe". And another is Garth Brooks "if tomorrow never comes". When I hear that I always ask myself if I did. I keep telling myself "yes" because I think she knew how much I loved her. But that song still brings on the waterfall

14. TLD

TLD Active Member

I am easing my way back into all of the songs that remind me of David. Sometimes it's just too much. But music is what brought us together and music it what will help me keep me connected to him even though he's gone. Music is magical.

Dave33085 likes this.
  15. Dave33085

Well my name is also David and it brought us together to help each other heal. Music is magical

TLD likes this.
  16. TLD

TLD Active Member

17. paul tinker

Tld well done. Beautiful and heartbreaking. Perfect, I did not this artist but she hits it.

18. Dave33085

Wow. If you were trying to make me cry,.... You succeeded. Good thing I wasn't driving. Great song. Someone was going through some serious grief when they composed song. Just when I think I'm all cried out, I cry some more.

TLD likes this.
  19. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

Paul, I agree. Music helps many cope with difficult times. Think of all the musical artists of the world, and the frame of mind they were in when they create a piece of music that so moves us to many emotions, tears, being happy, helping us cope with loss and perhaps theirs as well.

You can truly tell when a song has heart. It grabs you, you can't help yourself as you get lost in it's beauty. Words are hard to come by, and I have found that even though when a person speaks of their loss, it helps, their voice quavers and you can feel that loss with them as they speak.

20. paul tinker

David, you got it. Music takes us deeper and our life experience is in the music. The artist has captured a slice of our human experience. The lyrics are the mind with imagery and the melody captures the internal heart or feeling. Either they express so well what we maybe but can't put into words. The fact that an artist has gone ahead and was with a specific aspect of what we all will encounter. It is universal and a companion for us. I am in awe of that talent that looked at some joy or sadness that we all at some time will encounter. It is like a conversation that understands our internal place in life.