*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Not sure how to cope

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Daisy726, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Daisy726

Daisy726 Member

I lost my significant other of 20 years 2 months ago. He had a heart attack 3 years ago. This has been a long and hard fight but we never gave up. Since last November, he has been in & out of the ER several times. I feel that due to covid, he didn't receive the care & attention that he needed. Too many virutal visits instead of face to face.

He went into the hospital on 1/27 and due to restrictions nobody was allowed in. We were getting report that he was improving, actually had plans to go to rehab the weekend before he passed. Little did we know, they were sending him to rehab to die, not get stronger. Five days before he passed, he boys were told that he wasn't going to make it. We were allowed in to see him, then had to move him 24 hours before he passed to a nursing home. He was moved on Friday and passed on Saturday.

I was able to be with him when he passed, which I am very thankful for. I didn't want him to go alone nor in pain.

It has been 2 months and the tears still don't stop. I will do better for a couple days then cry all day for a couple days. I work from home which is good and bad. Good that most have no idea the struggle i have but also bad because I can hide.

Have been looking toward scripture and guidance from God. The loss at times is very overwhelming. I always heard that it was a heartache when you lose your other half. I didn't understand that your heart truly hurts.

Thankfully, he is buried close to me. In the beginning, I was there everyday. It made me feel better. I prefer to go everyday but my Mom had surgery and that has kept me from being able to go there daily. Longest I have been is 2 days. If I go and am really upset, I do find that it calms me down.

The thought of not having him in my life is crushing. I still speak to him both at home and at the cemetery.

What are some things that people do to cope.

LinF likes this.
  2. LindaH

LindaH Well-Known Member

Daisy, I am sorry for your loss.
    I lost my husband five years ago.

I know what you mean about getting comfort from visiting his grave. I do the same.
    Take a blanket and just sit and talk to him.
    I always find comfort going.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you start this journey.
    This site has good people so please visit when you can.
    Linda

3. Leeb

Leeb Member

I too am sorry for your loss. My husband of 40 years passed away on March 8th. He had health issues started in 2017. I worked hard for one solid year to get him on track and use to his new health predicament. The family was so happy he looked good and I thought we were able to extend his life. Then about 4 months ago he started displaying so the negative symptoms. None of his doctors showed any urgency in this. None of them!! Next thing I know he collapsed while taking a shower and that's it. There are days I think I'm doing ok then I get so scared of being alone. The quietness in the house is overwhelming.

4. LoriandNick

LoriandNick New Member

My husband died yesterday. I am 46, he was 48. He had been fighting emphysema and PAD from a severe infection for over 8 years. He laid down to take a nap and that was it, he was gone. He was 108lbs. We were together 25 years. He was my soulmate and I need the world to know that I loved him. GOD I loved him, and he loved me. We had an amazing bond, though our life was never easy. I'm so blessed to have had him for those 25 years and I'm trying so hard to process the reality of the situation. I love him.

5. turtleboy54

turtleboy54 New Member

My husband died Jan 9th of this year. We were together for 36 years, legally married for 6 years. We did everthing together.
    He was diagnosed with AML LEUKEMIA June 13,2018. In the hospital 2 1/2 months during which he developed fungal pneumonia (aspergillosis) which made him unavailable for a transplant. He had just celebrated 36 years sobriety Dec 10th 2020. He was from New York and I from Chicago. Moved to North Carolina 6 years ago after both of us living in South Florida for over 40 years.
    I just can’t believe that he won’t be walking through the front door tomorrow. Like he was visiting someone for a day or two and he will be back home. I cry every morning and evening, not knowing what to do. I watch tv nonstop all day so I don’t have to think that he isn’t here. He was my best friend, my heart, my soul and I don’t know what to do without him. Like I said, we did EVERYTHING together.

6. LoriandNick

LoriandNick New Member

I feel you. I see you.

7. Daisy726

Daisy726 Member

thank you

8. Daisy726

Daisy726 Member

There are so many who completely understand what I am feeling.

LindaH likes this.
  9. Daisy726

Daisy726 Member

So sorry for your loss. I agree, the quietness and not having them to talk to is overwhelming. Luckily, I do have a voice mail from him in December where he called me to just say he loved me. It still seems unreal.