*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Lost my niece and no one understands my grief

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Cheryl2019, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Cheryl2019

Cheryl2019 New Member

My niece died suddenly on 12/10/19. I didn’t make it to the hospital in time to say goodbye. I do not have kids so my 2 nieces were like my own. My husband has been the best support but I don’t think anyone thinks an aunts grief is just as horrible as anybody. I am not looking for sympathy but who do I go to talk and cry? She was beautiful and doing really good in her life and this doesn’t make sense and it hurts so bad.

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal Member

I’ll listen if you want to talk about her. What was she like? Ya’s memories together? How did she die? An aunt or anyone has the right to grieve however they choose. Relationship doesn’t matter. It’s the love you had for each other that matters. You lost a loved one and that should hurt. It’s ok to grieve. I hope you can find support somewhere, maybe here. That’s why you came to the site right? I came to relate to and talk to others. My mom passed unexpectedly on Jan 20th. I’m still in shock though. I wish you peace. I’m here to listen.

3. Vickie

Vickie Active Member

I am so sorry for your Loss. I myself have two daughters, well One living and One I lost in 2009. My husband has never had any children or raised any and he has two nephews that are the closest things he has to having children like your Niece was to you. It's a hard road and my heart goes out to You. Please feel free to contact me here. I am So Sorry. Vickie

4. Orlando

Orlando New Member

I am sorry for your loss as only one with the same loss can be. My baby niece, 10 weeks old and a premature baby died in January. I have never experienced a pain this intense. Counseling can help but I had chosen to honor her by living and celebrating her live. I don’t have children of my own and I am the cool uncle. I am very close to my sisters kids and love them just as if they were mine. Is okay to cry, is okay to take as long as you need. Like you I feel that people don’t understand my pain. After all I was just the uncle. I’ve heard those words more than once and it hurts so much. It’s not who you are but how you are and how close is that bond.