*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Kelly

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by Jefoid, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Jefoid

Jefoid New Member

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing here. But it seems that typing things is something I can do. My beloved wife Kelly passed away on January 11th. (The same day I started a new job) She is the most wonderful thing in the universe.

Kelly and I knew each other from my early days in high school. She was prominent in the band, and I was a fantastically awkward geek, and the captain of the science club. We knew each other, but at a classmate’s graduation party, we immediately fell in love. After a year of , well, I don’t know what, we became a permanent couple. She joined me at college to finish her senior year, we bought a house, and then we were married. (Yep, in that order.)

After our daughter was born, Kelly was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This was the middle 90's. This formerly deadly disease was now quite treatable, mostly with radiation, but sometimes with chemo, Kelly did not need chemo. At the time, we were clearly told the risks. The upper 10% of her heart would be irradiated, as well as some of her salivary glands and her thyroid. There were no options, and we didn't care. this would save her, and it did. Most of her salivary glands ceased to function, but that was all. We carried on our lives in happiness. My son was born 6 years later. In part because we were waiting to see if the cancer recurred. It never did. the treatment was a complete success.

Years later, her thyroid became cancerous. This is not uncommon, and, of course, could never be directly tied to the treatment. we knew this could be related to the treatments for Hodgkin's, but it was an expected issue. Her thyroid was removed without an issue, she spent a few days living in our (nicely furnished) basement while she took a radiation pill, and everything was fine. We were happy.

In the early 20-teens, it became obvious that she did not have the energy she once had. Fairly simple activities would leave her breathless. Eventually we received the diagnosis, her aortic valve, the same one that received the radiation so many years ago, was failing. 50% of the blood pumped would just slip back the other way. We were in our early 40s. We wanted a long life of vacations, traveling and family. The answer was simple, let’s fix it. We went to some good surgeons in our city, and they gave us our options. We chose a biological valve and she had it replaced. It was…spectacularly difficult, and yet, she recovered fine. I was with her every day, every moment in the hospital. If she needed a sip of water, I was there. If she needed an adjustment in position, I was there.

On Christmas Eve of last year (2020) Kelly went out to get the mail. It was well after dark and I was asleep in bed. (We lived quite different wake/sleep lives) My children, home for the holidays, thought she had been gone too long and checked outside. Kelly was laying on the front porch, unconscious. They called 911, woke me up, and by the time I could get out to the porch, she had woken up. The paramedics came and could find nothing wrong with her. It appeared she had fainted. We contacted both her regular and heart doctors. As far as we could tell, the issue related to her low blood pressure, which had been an ongoing, known issue. They changed her medication to compensate.

A few days later, I was up early in the morning (different wake/sleep lives) and I heard a sound from the bedroom like a moaning. I assumed it was Kelly having a nightmare. When I went into the bedroom, she was stiff and barely conscious. It went downhill from there. She couldn’t hear me or move. I called 911. After an eternity, but probably less than a minute, she began to wake up. The paramedics came again, and again told us that they could find no reason for the event. We began to consider the possibility that these were epileptic seizures. Again, we reached out to her doctors and scheduled visits. It was the holidays, though, and nothing was available.

On the night of January 5th, I think, we were watching TV. We were about to start a new streaming episode and Kelly said she didn’t feel like watching another one. A few seconds later, she said, “it’s happening again” and she squinted. She was able to move to the couch, but then quickly passed out. This was the first time I had seen an entire “episode.” She was completely lifeless. I said her name over and over again. I tried to sit her up. (Why, who the hell knows?) she was completely limp and gone. I tried every stupid thing I could…and then she started to wake up again. Again, we called 911, and this time there was no question, she went to the hospital. Epilepsy or otherwise, this needed to stop.

After a few false starts, and a couple more episodes in the hospital (horrifying), we finally arrived at the actual problem. After only 8 years, about half the time we had hoped for, her heart valve had so much scar tissue surrounding it that it was failing. This explained everything we had been going through. I was scared, but Kelly was very positive. “Fine, another heart valve replacement and I’ll be fine.” But this was Early January 2021, the worst Part of the COVID outbreak.

There were no ICU rooms available. Nowhere. Her heart doctor and surgeon thought they could get one in the next week. She had been scheduled for a pacemaker before (Again, long story short) and they revived this plan to insure she wouldn’t have any more episodes before the replacement. On Monday, January 11th, as I sat down for my new hire (virtual) orientation, I received a text from Kelly that she had gone in unexpectedly early for the pacemaker surgery. Great.

A couple hours later I received a phone call. It was the surgeon. He told me that the pacemaker had been implanted, and that afterword her blood pressure could not be brought up. And what did I want to do?

What? I had no clear idea what he was saying. After a few seconds I got the nerve to ask, “Is she alive?” He said some blah, blah that I cannot remember at all. I eventually realized he was asking me if it was OK if they stopped giving her extraordinary measures. I had no idea. I think I said something like “try for another few minutes” but I knew the answer at that point. She had died just after the pacemaker was implanted.

I then had to walk in to my son’s bedroom, still asleep, wake him up, and tell him that mom had died. I called my daughter who lives out of town. Unfathomable. I called her parents and mine, and then my son and I went to the hospital. Nothing was real.

The last time I saw her was on Sunday. Because of COVID, I was never allowed inside. I drove around the (small) hospital speaking to her on cell until I found her room and we talked through the window. The hospital had posted room numbers visible through the window so people could do that very thing.

In no way was I expecting anything other than a positive outcome, just like all the other trials of our life. But that was the last time I saw her. Through that stupid, heavily tinted window. She looked like an angel.

RLC likes this.
  2. Songman

Songman Well-Known Member

Your arrival at this site was no mere coincidence. This is a very moving story. I shed tears for you as I read the retelling of your beloved wife's ordeal. Keep reaching out to the wonderful people who post here. They understand and want to help. May God carry you through.

Jefoid and RLC like this.
  3. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your story, so touching! I’m so sorry for the loss of your wonderful wife. You found your way to this site because you need to share your story, sharing is a huge part of the healing process. The life and love you shared is all part of your loss. Your loss is the exact opposite of the loss of the loss of my husband. We were together 44 yrs and married 41, we met when I was 16 and Ron was 19, we knew that night we found our perfect mates. We have 2 children and we ran and operated an upholstery business together. We were inseparable, together 24/7. 2 years ago on Nov 17 we were having a wonderfully normal Saturday. Doing chores around the house and Ron was winterizing a small Japanese maple tree I had bought him. He came inside and said his left arm ached, I asked if we should be concerned. He said no I’m fine and took 2 ibuprofen and we sat a while. Then went out to visit our daughter and buy everything for thanksgiving dinner. Came back home and had the homemade soup I had made earlier. Then while watching tv Ron didn’t feel well, said he had stomach virus type symptoms. He threw up a couple times and thought he was feeling better, he called to me in such a loving caring sweet voice and said I think I’m ok now. I encouraged him to stay on the floor a while. But then he got up and started yelling in pain. I asked where do you hurt? He put his hand to his chest, and I panicked and said, Ron, your heart? He nodded his head. I called 911 and he was taken to the hospital. My wonderful husband and life we shared was taken from me in two hours. My loss was so fast, yours drawn out, both devastating. And life becomes so lonely and quiet. Your loss is so resent, I understand the pain you’re in. Everyone on this site knows how you’re feeling, you’re not alone. Visit it this site often, read and share thoughts and stories. I hope you have family and friends offering you support. Have them come sit and have coffee with you, someone to talk with is wonderful support.
    My thoughts are with you and your children. Take care of you. Kelly would want that.
    All the best, Robin

Jefoid likes this.
  4. Dee Kay

Dee Kay Active Member

So very sorry for your loss. I also lost my husband during Covid last April and could only speak to him on the cell phone, I had dropped him at the ER, kissed him goodbye through a mask and that was the last time I was with him, one week later he was gone, also from a weak heart and a few other issues. I hate that I wasn't there with him, I had been his advocate, carer, saw to his needs for any previous hospital stays, like you with your wife. It's cruel twice-fold to lose someone during this pandemic, firstly just losing someone and secondly because we're separated from them. You and your wife went through so much together. This is so raw for you right now. My heart goes out to you.

Jefoid likes this.
  5. Songman

I am so sorry for your loss. It has to be devastating for you. Please stay in contact with your fellow grievers on this site. It does help.

Bill

6. Songman

7. Songman