*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

I miss my dad so much

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Courtney Sanchez, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Courtney Sanchez

Courtney Sanchez New Member

I am 23 years old I lost my dad unexpedly September 13,2018 at 5:00 am.... I can still hear the heartbreak in my moms and brothers voice. I dont know how to go on... I am so numb.... I am pushing away from my husband..... Does this get easier??? God I know he is at peace and free from the chronic pain he was in but, all I want right now is to go be with my dad......

2. zane

zane Member

I know how you feel, I lost my Dad late august this year to ALS and its feels like an empty void. My mom took it hard and shes trying to keep busy but i can tell shes hurt, well we all are. I really do believe it gets easier with time for now i guess it hasnt hit me yet and I just miss him. Were the same age Im 22 and its not fair you know.

3. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Courtney, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is still such a very new loss, and regardless of whether a loss is sudden or "expected", I think everyone finds themselves feeling shock and disbelief when their loved one is gone. Time is a strange thing in grief. On the one hand it can be a great healer...however it takes so much longer than we could ever expect and for most along that journey things get worse (and better and worse and better and worse and better and worse) before they turn a corner and start to feel consistently better and stronger.
    Will the pain ever really go away, or will we ever stop missing a loved one who is no longer here? No. But we can learn to adapt and to adjust and especially to find happiness in the way they would want us to.
    Be patient with yourself and the process. Know that it's okay to hurt and to be really really sad. In no time at all everyone around you will return to their routine and they'll expect you to do the same. This can't be rushed and you may need to communicate to people along the way that you're not going to always be where they expect you to be and that you may not be yourself for some time. We have a lot of articles in our blog about the grieving process and I would hope some of them could be a help to you as you try to understand it all better.
    I'm glad you've come here for support and I hope we can be a help to you. I wish you all the best~

Destiny and Stephylynn like this.
  4. Bamboolack

Bamboolack New Member

I loss my dad in December 2017. He passed away in his sleep. I am having a very difficult time dealing with his loss. He was my everything. I can’t come close to comprehend what has happened. There is not one day that goes by that I don’t expect him to come over and spend time with me and my girls or the feeling that I can just pick up the phone and call him. I am so confused. I question whatever faith I have.

5. zane

zane Member

How are you guys doing?

6. Bamboolack

Bamboolack New Member

As my dad’s one year anniversary gets closer, I am having a hard time accepting the fact that he is not here any longer.

7. Stephylynn

Stephylynn New Member

We are all grieving and It sucks that death happens. I miss my dad too. I lost him to ALS. I talk to him everyday...just hoping to hear his voice. Some days are better than others. We will heal the more we help each other : )

griefic likes this.
  8. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Bamboolack, as the anniversary of our loved one's passing approaches we can find that we may feel worse (even if we had been lucky enough to be feeling even a little bit better). The shock is not something that wears off after a few days...the finality of loss can stick with us and come back to us even months and years after a person is gone. It's such a difficult thing to accept and reconcile, the fact that we'll never again see someone who we loved who meant so much. As Stephylynn said, the healing comes from the help we can get and the help we can give. I'm hoping you can find some of that here. Please continue to check in and let us know how you're doing, especially as the date approaches. It's never easy to go through those big anniversaries. If it's a help, I've included an article here from our blog that may give you something to consider as the year date approaches: https://www.griefincommon.com/blog/coping-loss-planning-sad-helps/
    We wish you peace in the days ahead~

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

July 10, 2018 @ 5:45 pm I lost my dad after he was in the hospital for a month. My daughter and I live in the house with my parents and brother. My dad and I have never been particularly close, I can’t believe how hard this has hit me and I am not the same person I was before this happened. I am hoping this website can help us all cope. I have been having trouble getting enough support from my loved ones so I came hear. At least we all can all relate to each other’s pain.

10. irisk

irisk New Member

I lost my dad eight years ago to undiagnosed colon cancer. I still miss him. Less than six months ago, I lost my life partner. His death was sudden, totally unexpected...I am so lost without him....