*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

I lost my dad... my best friend. Trigger warning

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by shelbymclemore21, Jul 10, 2019.

1. shelbymclemore21

shelbymclemore21 New Member

I lost my dad. In an awful way. He was fine. Or so I thought. I just talked to him minutes before. He struggled with his weight. He struggles in general with health. But not deathly. Or so I thought.... when I hadn’t heard from him in over 24 hours I thought he broke his phone. But I lived just minutes away so I went to see what happened. It was midnight and cold. January. I went into his house and I smelt death. And my brain wouldn’t let me process it. I saw him though the window. Laying on the floor. Which wasn’t out of the norm. He slept on the floor all the time. So when I went in and said his name I thought he was sleeping heavy. No. I walk closer and saw the blood first. Then his face. His poor face. He was dead. I was on the phone with my sister when I screamed I needed to call 911. They came and the cop hugged me. I couldn’t cry all I could do was scream. My poor dad. I thought it was my fault. I thought he passed out from lack of sleep. He gave me his bed when our got ruined on Christmas morning. But month later we get in the autopsy. It was heart disease. How? No one new. Not even his doctors. Which he seem monthly. How? How can something so preventable happen? It’s been six months. And I’m still in disbelief. I just want my dad back. I just want someone to save him. So many people failed him and it led to his death. I just need him.

2. Goodgrief

Goodgrief Member

Hey. I'm so sorry you lost your dad . This was hard to read so I know it was a million times more difficult to experience. I lost my mom to heart issues as well. She was under the doctors care. So I can empathize with you.

You were clearly very close and loving. I'm so glad that you were able to have services take him without him being there for too long. That shows that you were a caring and concerned daughter to a loving a caring dad who gave up his bed.

We are soooooooo lucky to have parents we've loved. I'm so sorry for your lost and I hope you're taking care of yourself. Keep posting and doing what works.