*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

How long can I postpone the memorial service?

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by KB3, Jul 17, 2019.

1. KB3

KB3 Member

Everyone is expecting me to have the service any week now, but I'm just not ready. It's not like I've done this before! I'm making a tribute video to show and maybe we'll sing some songs, let some people have some words, I'm still figuring it all out.
    He wanted a really informal celebration of life with food family and friends. Our favorite spot is on the lake near by, but it's too damn hot to get out there in the middle of the Texas summer and celebrate anything.
    I'd like to have it in October, better weather, his birthday month, just feels right if that's really a thing.
    He passed June 21 and I'm looking at October 12, is that too long? Why is everyone in a hurry and should I be?
    Thanks!

2. JohnFS

JohnFS Well-Known Member

Hey KB3, the memorial service is totally your decision. I kind of went through the same thing, but I did realize that other close family members were needing closure so I gave 2 weeks notice and did it on a Saturday so everyone could make their arrangements to come and I was ready for closure also. You do what feels right to you and what he would have wanted. You can’t please everyone.

3. I agree with John. Your decision. People are in a hurry because they feel that they need closure and sometimes the discomfort of our culture around death and grieving says ‘just get it over with so we can go back to our lives....why are you dragging this out?’ I have known of remberances and memorials and celebrations of life that are 6 to 9 months down the road from the death. For my husband, who died May 22nd, I waited 6 weeks for his Celebration of Life. I needed that time for myself and for his soul to do its traveling. But do what feels right for you and don’t allow others to pressure you into what works for them! This is YOURS to carry. If they want to arrange their own because they are in a hurry...then they can.