*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

He was only 22

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Joewilson, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Joewilson

Joewilson New Member

My best friend was just starting to become successful. He was 22, bought a house with his gf in July of 2018, kickin butt at his job, and planning so many things for his future. He was such a unique soul. He only got to enjoy his house and his success for 5 months. He got into an accident in January of 2019 that killed him instantly. I am so close with his gf and his family, seeing everyone so devastated while crushed yourself is such a terrible feeling. He was only 22 and had so many plans. I find myself sitting and watching videos of our fun nights at the house, we were all so happy, I don’t think we’ll ever get to experience that level of happy again. Life seems so insignificant now. I have so much sadness, however none of it compares to the heartbreak his girlfriend is going through. She is my only best friend now and there is nothing I can do to help.

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Joe, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a tragic accident - it is so hard to understand how or why something like this would ever happen. There is no good time to lose someone we love, but it can be especially difficult with someone so young and to lose them so suddenly. There's just no time at all to prepare. It will take a lot of time to work through the grief that comes with this and you will always miss your friend. I'm glad to hear you and his family and girlfriend are able to support one another. It can be comforting to be with those who loved him most. It's important though to take time for your own grief and realize the validity of your pain and not try to compare your loss to another's. If you're hurting, then you are rightfully hurting, and it's okay to find your own place and time to sit with that. I'm glad you have found us and hope this site can be an outlet for you. Please take care and let me know if you have any questions about the site or anything else. We are here to help~

3. Lexi Gangl

Lexi Gangl New Member

I also lost one of my best friends suddenly too, back in April. He was the same age as me (20) and was in the military. He played a major role in my current friend group and I was literally on my way home from school when I received that devastating call from our mutual friend that he was in an accident. It's still feels so surreal to me and feel like me and our friends won't get the closure we need for a pretty good amount of time. I'm currently at the acceptance stage but he still crosses my mind everyday. I've found distracting myself and getting up earlier in the morning has been beneficial for me. I hope you find peace and comfort, sending many prayers your way

Joewilson likes this.