*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Greving Over a Beloved Pet

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Gabriel Mireles, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Gabriel Mireles

Gabriel Mireles New Member

I lost my little girl...my best friend and campanion of 13 years 4 days ago. To alot of people the are just pets...but to some they are a family member. I live far from home due to work. All my family and friends are far. Here i have "aqaintences" and coworks.... so i feel so lonely now that she is gone. We did everything together ...trips...lunch...dinner... watch tv....she slept by my side....we did halloween costumes together...Christmas with Santa. My heart is broken into a million pieces and now i truly bow what it feels to be lonely. I try not to be sad and cry for a want her to rest and peace and be happy now that she is not in pain...but its hard....and just looking for hope and trying to learn to live without her.

Attached Files:

2. Jamie

Jamie New Member

I lost my dog 4 years ago. It was unexpected. I didn't even know he was sick. I woke up the day after my sons first birthday to him having a heart attack on my living room floor. I was devastated. He was my best friend. I still haven't gotten another dog since him. I felt like because I didn't know he was sick and I should have that I didn't deserve another animal. Maybe you can try volunteering at a local shelter. It does get easier as time goes by. I still miss him but I know he's still with me.

3. Ellen C

Ellen C Guest

Dear Gabriel:
    I am so sorry that you lost your best friend. You're right when you say that a lot of people don't understand that pets are family.
    I have had many wonderful pets throughout the years. Dogs, cats, horses, even a large rabbit. And I have had to put many of them to sleep because they were sick and in pain. It's probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
    Last year I had to put my 19 year old cat to sleep. She lived a long and wonderful life and she gave me nothing but total and never ending unconditional love. It truly broke my heart, but it was the right thing to do. And her ashes are on my desk, along with many beautiful pictures of her and her paw print. Even though it's been a year, I still cry when I think of her.

I lasted about 2 weeks without her and just couldn't look at her empty bowl anymore, so I went to a rescue center and adopted another cat who needed a home. That's her pic above. Kennedy was 4 years old when she was abandoned in a carrier in Petsmart. Can you imagine someone leaving such a beautiful animal. She was in the shelter for 1 year because no one wanted an older cat. When I found her she had just turned 5 and I knew as soon as I picked her up that she was mine. She became my constant companion and thinks and acts more like a dog, than the big cat she really is.

No, I will never forget CeCe, who I had for 19 years and Kennedy does not take her place. However she has found a new place in my home and heart and as much as she needed someone to love her, I needed her to help me heal.

Just a suggestion- but there are so many needy animals out there with nobody to love them. And if you haven't already discovered, rescue animals love you like no others. Someone they sense that you saved them.

Why don't you take a ride to your local animal shelter and see who you find there. You may be surprised and I don't think it's any disrespect to your friend that you lost. She would want you to be happy.

Good luck and feel better.

Ellen