*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Dad Died One Month Ago Today

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by stratocast, Apr 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. stratocast

stratocast New Member

My girlfriend’s family is visiting, and I am trying not to act too sad. Feels both like forever ago and like I just got the call. Feels like I just say the same stuff over and over. Missing him a lot, as we were very close. Haven’t read too much here yet because it hurts to read. Just wanted to post something today. Thanks.

2. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

Stratocast,

It is hard to be without the one in life who we loved so much. Even as time passes it doesn’t really take all the memory of their passing away, it only makes the moment not hurt so much. I am really sorry for your loss.

When we have a connection with our parents, it is so hard to accept their loss. My dad was told he had terminal cancer on Valentine’s day, two days later he passed. It was hard to accept for me, and I would imagine for you as well.

I looked up to my dad, he served in WW2, he is what motivated me to join the Army, which I was in for 12 plus years. I will never forget how when I walked into a room one day and saw my hulk of a dad quietly crying just how life had finally overwhelmed him. I left the doorway quietly and let dad be by himself.

When you grow up wishing for a closer connection to your father and then you learn they will be leaving you behind soon, it is a time when there are no words that fit anymore. I only know I wish I had more time with him, as I am sure you did as well. That picture of you both is amazing, it shows your closeness to each other. Something I am sure you will remember forever and a day.

For now, just take time to remember all the good times. Look over all your mementos of life you have of him and take each day slowly. It takes time to get beyond loss no matter who it is. I would suggest you talk with family, your friends and even complete strangers like us. Peace be with you today.

-david

This is a song to remember

Ruby74 likes this.
  3. stratocast

stratocast New Member

Thanks, David, I appreciate your reply. I looked up to my dad as well, especially as I grew older and came to appreciate what it means to be vulnerable and compassionate with people. That picture was taken just in mid February of this year, when I was fortunate to be able to visit him for two weeks and have a great visit. He gave me a “worry stone” while I was there, and I hold the stone frequently.

My dad was hospitalized with a hematoma for 4 days, then sent home to recover. A couple of weeks later he was back in the acute care facility, again with the hematoma, but only there for a day and sent home, though he died of a heart attack the night he was sent home. I regret not dropping everything and driving from Wisconsin to Georgia. I had hoped this was just a bump in the road, as he had many health problems.

Thanks for the song suggestion. It is sad but true that the world just keeps on spinning.

Thanks again

4. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

Stratpcast.

You are most welcome. The love you hold for your father will always be within you.

You take care of yourself at this most vulnerable time. Talking with others always helps us all. Though we each can be troubled inside we all understand how profound loss can be, how it might leave us each with so many questions.

All each of us can do is take each day slowly and work to come to terms with our loss. We will be here to listen, to respond and also hope to help you in some small way.

-david

Ruby74 likes this.