*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Can’t Sleep, I need my father

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Owl, May 4, 2020.

1. Owl

Owl New Member

The best man I ever knew died last week from cancer. He was not only a hero for me but for everyone he met. He fought long and hard, almost 4 years, “recovering” by the second year only to fall harder and with no going back. He had a brain tumor they discovered once he had seizures on a business trip. Operated and treated abroad meant I could not see him for the first 5 months he was hospitalized. He just run an Ironman that year and marathons the year before. The divorce to my mom had been planee before but still needed to be concluded as soon as he came home.

I was just 15 and had to endure through it all. The worst part was seen him suffer. He was recovering and started to run after limping for a year. Soon enough it grew again and it couldn’t be operated again. It slowly paralyzed his right side, it started with me cutting his food, to helping him up stairs, to help walking, to help in the bathroom, to showering him and feeding him with just 18 years in about 2 months. He was 48 when he passed
    When he started recovering he donated dozens of thousands of dollars with of medicine to a kid that couldn’t afford them, he arranged and saved another man by getting him treated and operated within days. He was the smartest and most humble person ever. It’s not just me who says this but his friends who covered my and my sisters school costs and his medical bills the last years when he had spent everything on treatment.

There is so much more to tell about this man, my father. About the deep connection I had with him and how we learnt from each other. I miss him so bad and it hurts every night. I cry myself to sleep. He worked his life to give me everything I could ever need and lost it to cancer so quickly. I just can’t see myself Geri g through something like this without him. He was always there but not this time. Each day seems harder and I miss him more every second.

it’s my first time writing about this, I’m new to this site and not natively English so sorry for any misunderstandings or confusions in the text

2. David Hughes

David Hughes Well-Known Member

Owl,

I am so saddened by the loss of your father. The separating you faced when he was on those trips, and then in the hospital is so troubling. There is no age that loss doesn’t cut us deeply. Your young age when he was taken from your life is so sad Owl. Of course the divorce of your parents also weighs heavily on you as well. But you have held yourself well Owl, you are still with us, still telling us how you miss your dad. I am so proud of you, as I would be for my two sons as well after they endured the loss of their mother. It has been 5 years for us, sure we still cry, we still are sad at times, it is natural.

Your dad sounded like an amazing man to have kept himself so physically fit. You will have all those special memories he gave you with you for a lifetime. Those special moments your dad gave to others in need is a true tribute to his spirit. The essence of a person is not what is written but how others see them, talk of them, and witness giving even in the toughest of times in a man’s life. You have so much to be proud of and to remember him.

I know you miss your dad badly, as my sons miss their mom. I know each day is hard to face, as time seems stuck on so many memories. You like my sons have faced one of the most harshest of events in a lifetime a person will ever face.

I can’t promise you any of us can wipe away your tears, take your pain away, but I can tell you your dad is with you, like my wife is with her sons each and every day. Your dad, my wife of my sons, will always be with you forever in your words, in the actions you take in life, and how you live your day, and how you interact with others. But please always remember, he will always be with you in your heart, mind, and soul.

Those precious tears you shed are memories that gently fall and caught with the passage of time. They are written in stone will always be there to remember. Just know, one day, each day you rise, you are rising with a gentle courage, your dad showed that courage with his fight for life, as did my wife for my two sons in her ten-year fight with cancer. It is a memory that will live within you for how strong the human spirit can drive a person to shows others a way forward in life.

So please never give up. He will be right there by your side. Please never feel like your words are hard to understand, as a father I see and feel your intense pain. Your words no matter how they are written bring meaning to your loss. So yes, I understand how bad you feel. I am sending you a bear hug from me to you for your dad. You take care of yourself and keep reaching out. Peace be with you.

-david

This song is for you

3. @APPY

@APPY Well-Known Member

Hello there ... I lost my father very recently too . I know what missing your dad is all about . I am still searching for ideas that can give me little comfort . The pain is so sharp so stubborn . But all my friendz who had experienced this loss before is telling me to leave it on time. Time will heal. Ofcourse the pain will be there but the sharpness will be blunted.