*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Anxiety and panic attacks

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Aliciahaviland, May 27, 2019.

1. I have been having anxiety at times and had a horrible panic attack Saturday. I know it's from the panic of finding my hubby Joe on the kitchen floor and trying to resecutate him. Ughh. This is two panic attacks since he died. Does anyone else have PTSD from their loved one's sudden death?

blkcrwf1 likes this.
  2. Babybird

Babybird Guest

I do. My parents were murdered by a reckless driver, it's been a few months but I still get panicked about going out and also when I think of having people over-like their friends for dinner. It's really bad sometimes. I hate feeling out of control. I'm so sorry for your loss and what you're going through.

3. I'm so sorry for your loss and what you are going through. I didn't know what an anxiety and panic attack felt like until i had one a few weeks after my husband died, my son was driving and we were coming back from my sister's house as we were on the highway it had hit me that my husband wouldn't be at home when i got there and that he would never be again and suddenly I couldn't breathe and my heart started beating erratically and I felt nauseous and dizzy. I wanted desperately to get out of the car but I couldn't and I didn't want to scare my son. I tried to take deep and slow breaths and closed my eyes, when I got home I left a message for my doctor, after that my doctor prescribed me medication and I filled the prescription but I never wanted to take anything and I didn't and I still haven't, they are in my dresser drawer, the anxiety and panic attacks happen less now but I've tried to distract myself when I feel it and just knowing the medication is there if I need it helps. I wasn't with my husband when he died suddenly but I did arrive to see him laying on the floor under our christmas tree as the paramedics tried to save him, my youngest son was the only one at home with him when he suffered a heart attack and my son has also suffered from anxiety and panic attacks because of it, he was 16 years old at the time and counseling so far has been the only thing helping him. let your doctor know what would be best to help you. I hope that you will be o.k and that your attacks become less and less.

4. AdriaStar

AdriaStar Active Member

yes, that is a big problem for me since my son passed. It was impossible for me to go anywhere with a lot of people, even close friends. Finally, I started using CBD oil and doing a lot of meditation and also Reiki. My anxiety is somewhat under control but there are still moments when I have to work through it.

5. blkcrwf1

blkcrwf1 Member

I too have ptsd and drs just throw different drugs at me. I lost my 55 year old husband in March of this year and finding it hard to go on without him. I understand what you are going through. The day never ends for me. I just picture him dying in my arms when I am alone I cry. Finding it extremely hard too go on

6. AdriaStar

AdriaStar Active Member

Can you find a therapist trained in EMDR? That can help work through stuck trauma like what you went through...It really does work. And way better than meds.

7. Kriss

Kriss Well-Known Member

Don’t have actual panicky attack’s but when I think of going to visit my husbands family i end up crying and not going. Haven’t seen his dad since hubbies death this past May. I just don’t know how to face his family or what Ben to say to them. My husband had major heart attack in May from when he called 911 to when he passed three hours. Glad I was with him but still have a hard time. My thoughts and prayers to you.

8. I am using CBD oil for the anxiety and it helps plus it doesn't effect me like the feeling of being drugged up. I found my hubby on the kitchen floor early in the morning we were getting ready for work. I tried CPR and then the EMTs came, the police, the fire department. It was all too late. I started the panic attacks every time I saw fire trucks and ambulances. It's getting better slowly.

9. I
    I am going to New York soon for a memorial for my hubby and he comes from a large family 11 siblings of which 9 are still living. I am kind of dreading it the family can be full of drama. So I have decided if I can't handle anything that goes on I am going to excuse myself if it gets overwhelming. I am going to have a back up hotel plan if need be.

10. Medapa

Medapa Member

I to
    I too have been having varying degrees of panic attacks. My husband passed in the shower so having a shower it's sometimes hard to get that vision out of my head. The sound of police sirens really got me for a while. The night befor his memorial service was awful for me. I was wound tighter then a drum. My doctor has given me some prescriptions anxiety medication. I don't take it a lot but some days it's all that will bring me down. I find a walk alone in the woods, while taking some deep breaths has helped. Busy housework also keeps it at bay. All the best to you and hope this is some of this could help you ❤️ I am truly sorry for your loss.

11. I am so very sorry about your parents. I too understand not wanting to go anywhere. I know how hard it is to see their friends. I am struggling still on going back to work. I am substitute teaching and my husband and I worked together in the schools together. And it's very painful to return to subbing.

12. I have just had a grief attack just when I thought I was stable enough to work. I am a substitute teacher and I I go to different schools every day. There is no support. Uggh.

13. My husband was killed in a motorcycle accident in April of this year. I had never had panic or anxiety attacks before. At first they were very bad and often. Now that it has been 5 months they have lessened to just every once in awhile. I think I have been close to a month since the last one. At first seeing any kind of accident or even just other motorcycles on the roadway was enough to send me into one. I was having a terrible time getting to work. The last one happened out of nowhere I was in Walmart and my husband and I shopping together popped into my mind and that was all it took. Luckily I was able to get in contact with my grief buddy and she talked me through it (well texted). She was able to distract me enough that I was able to get out with out an embarrassing melt down. They are very scary, I have chest pain, nausea, and dizziness when they start. I also went to the doctor and they threw some heavy duty drugs at me but I didn't end up taking them, I don't like pills. For me, having people to talk to, text that have also suffered a similar loss when it starts has been extremely helpful.

14. Medapa

Medapa Member

I too have had a similar experience. I found my husband in shower. Friends and I performed cpr to no avail. Every time.i hear sirens, or have to go put to social even I panic. I have electricity running down my arms into my fingers, I am sweaty amd absent minded. I hate the feeling. My doc has placed my on benzos but im concerned they are habit forming. Best wishes hunny. All of us hate being here. Find some strength, I've yet to find much, but I am hopeful

15. Thanks for sharing. It helps me to hear your story. Often I feel alone in this since my family doesn't show their feelings about Joe. It's been nearly 6 months but some days it feels like yesterday. I hate when I am asked constantly how am I doing. I just say ok. I keep to myself since I have had people tell me I should get over it by now. I have to bite my tongue not to say wait till it happens to you. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I feel like it's hit harder now that at the beginning. I must have been in a daze. There are still times my brain says he's not dead that I am just waiting for him to come home. Like he is on one of his long walks he liked to take. I want to be normal again.

16. Aliciahaviland,

I have the same issues. Almost every day at work someone will ask how I am doing and I give them like everyone that ask my standard answer of "ok". I really find irritating the people that press for a different answer (probably because they know I am usually lying) and say, "no, how are you REALLY doing". I even had one person say in front of several coworkers, "man your doing so good, you must taking some good stuff". I was stunned at the lack of decorum of this person I have known for so many years. I tend to keep to myself as well, partly because my husband was my social life. I am not having any luck figuring out how to find social events that aren't always at a bar. I pretty much just go to work and come home aside from the occasional dinner or lunch with one of my kids. I have been very fortunate to make a couple of good friends from this grief forum that I communicate with on a daily basis. It really helps to be able to share all the emotions with people that get it.