*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Still grieving after 1.5 years....what is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Coping After a Sudden Loss' started by Sailor21, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Sailor21

Sailor21 New Member

Im still grieving the sudden loss of my mother after a year and a half. Ive got to say that the second year is harder in some ways due to the fact that no one wants to hear about it any more even though every day I am still so sad. My cousin just yelled at me on the phone and told me to get over it. I am trying but I really miss my mom. I just feel sad sometimes. Dont get me wrong- I do have happy times and am trying to piece together my life without her, but I still feel sad. I just miss her, point blank. I dont know if anyone on these threads has had a less recent loss, but if you have and you are reading this, is this normal? What makes a year a magic number?

Van Gogh likes this.
  2. Daisy171

Daisy171 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to say that your cousin is insensitive. There is no magic number and waves of grief may hit you many years later. Losing your mom is a great loss. I know I lost mine a year ago also and then I lost my husband a little more than a month ago. How I wish my mom was still here to comfort me. Everything you are feeling is normal and if some people don't understand then that is sad for them. People in this group do understand so visit here and post your feelings. It does help.

Van Gogh likes this.
  3. eleni

eleni New Member

I'm grieving my beloved Partner Paul and last week was a year since he died. I have loving, supportive friends who would never say what your cousin did and who try to understand (and to the woman who first lost her mom and her husband a month ago, I am very sorry and hope you can find a little peace somewhere). After a year, I'm not getting "better". I'm just different and I still miss Paul very much. I'm sorry about your losing your mom. I still miss my parents, too, and I lost them a long time ago. You do NOT need to "get over it". It's not something you "get over". Losing someone you love is simply NOT easy.

You are doing ok piecing your life together and trying to have happy times, YOU ARE NORMAL. The grief doesn't just go away neatly even after a year. Just read It's Ok That You're Not Ok: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand by Megan Devine, a good current book about grieving and it will definitely let you know you are ok (and normal) and will also let you know your cousin is wrong and not helpful at all. I think you're right about that second year since I don't really want to keep talking to my friends tho they regularly check on me and are willing to listen. Grief is simply hell and I hate missing my Paul.

Van Gogh likes this.
  4. Daisy171

Daisy171 Well-Known Member

The pain is unbearable, waves and waves of grief as I am clinging to my little raft hoping to find land. Sometime for a moment it seems calm and then out of the blue, a tidal wave hits. Anyone who has lost a spouse pr had natural compassion will understand. Others may not have the capacity.

Van Gogh likes this.
  5. ForeverMissingHim

ForeverMissingHim New Member

Grief has no boundaries no limit no fear it suffocates you when you least expect it I lost my partner of 20 years suddenly to a car accident which he was sole occupant and drunk he left behind our 4 beautiful children and me the mother of the babies he left behind everyday is as bad as the last most days I’m drowning looking at the constant reminders of what our lives once were he’s everywhere I look i don’t know your cousin but if I were you I would cut them out of my life right now if someone cannot unconditionally be there just fucken be there for someone stuck under the cloud of grief in their darkest hours for however long it takes I’m told grief lasts a lifetime for those of us left behind well of people judge and what not let karma be their best teacher because no one knows your GRIEF but you xoxo sorry for the loss of your mum

Van Gogh likes this.
  6. eleni

eleni New Member

I am so sorry about your losing you dear mom suddenly (and sad, too, for the partner who lost her partner to a horrible car accident.). Missing your mom (or your partner) is normal and your cuz is NOT helpful at all. You do NOT need to "try getting over" losing your mom. You grieve because you loved her. Why wouldn't you? We love the loved one we lost and tears are tributes to the person we loved. Please look for this book: It's Ok That You're Not OK by Megan Devine. She talks about grief, makes you realize you ARE normal, that time lines for "getting over it" do not work, and you do NOT need to stick to someone else's time line. No one should yell at you for grieving. YOU ARE NORMAL. This author talks about grieving the second year, and longer, and also about nonhelpful things people say. You are OK to grieve as you do (That's the point of the title, in fact.). This book lets you know that grieving is a long process and you are normal and it IS ok that you are NOT ok. Why would you be? You do what you have to do, you do have happy moments, you do piece your life together but grieving accompanies you. A year is NOT a magic number where grief ends nicely. Grief simply doesn't end nicely. We understand and here you have support. I'm sorry you don't have your mom but grieving her is normal and right. Again, it's Ok that you're not OK.

Van Gogh and DEB321 like this.
  7. Sailor21

Sailor21 New Member

Wow! I havent checked this site in a while and Im so surprised to see all the responses. Thank you so much. I will definitely take a look at the above mentioned book. Thank you so much for hearing me and taking the time to reply. I wish I could say something magical to reduce peoples pain. If anyone wants to elaborate or continue to share your story, I hope you all do. This community feels very supportive and I am truly grateful for your replies. I dont feel so alone.

Van Gogh likes this.
  8. ForeverMissingHim

ForeverMissingHim New Member

I’m so lost without him drowning in my own grief guilt and anger hardly present in my mind anymore Balley wish so bad you were here just one last Forever I miss you so much it’s intoxicating leaves me waiting even though I no my reality

Van Gogh likes this.
  9. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

my wife passed on jan 15 2023. i dont know why or how to go on.

Rose69 likes this.
  10. Sailor21

Sailor21 New Member

How could you know how to go on? Everything is different. You arent the same nor is your life: It is all in a huge transition for which you didnt ask. Please share more if you want to. It can be good to talk about it sometimes.

Van Gogh and Rose69 like this.
  11. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

i read that book no help at all

12. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

any one here

13. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Bruce,

I think eleni gave you excellent advice. Although I'm much farther along in this grieving process than you are, I'm going to purchase the book. Another member of our GIC family "talked" about this book in some of her older posts. She had very good things to say about it too. Unfortunately, you're going to have to do all the hard work grieving forces you to do, if you want to move forward, in this never ending journey, that not one of us would have chosen to take. You're going to have to find a way to deal with being alone, all the loneliness. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm sincerely trying to help you.

Please find a grief counselor and in person grief support group. If you don't feel like the first grief counselor you see is a good fit, keep on trying until you find one who you are comfortable with, and do the same with the in person grief support group.

Got to go, busy day ahead!!!

Please take care of yourself the very best you can.

Keep on keeping... DEB

Van Gogh and Rose69 like this.
  14. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

i have no more money to spend on this therapist. and grief meetings are not for me. i was rejected by 2 of them.

15. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

OWN MY OWN just like 42 years ago.

16. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

DEB, thank you for replying to
    Eleni and mentioning the book
    she had recommended. I didn't
    see your post 'til tonight , Wed,
    partly bc it was on a different
    thread. I will reach out to her
    now. Know you're busy, DEB,
    "talk "soon....Lou

DEB321 likes this.
  17. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

hey van gogh i knoe

18. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

hi deb 321. would like to a back to chat here. yes/ no /maybe?

19. kelso

kelso Well-Known Member

i lost my wife jan 15 2023.

20. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Eleni, I didn't read your moving
    post about your loving partner
    & soulmate, Paul, until tonight.
    My good friend, DEB, "talked"
    about you and about the book
    you recommended. I am deeply
    sorry,Eleni.Your grief after a