*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Searching, Finding, then Suddenly Losing My Dad

Discussion in 'Loss of a Parent' started by Manal, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Manal

Manal New Member

My name is Manal & this is my story. My dad was in my life until I was 4. He & my mother got divorced when I was 6/7. We lost contact until I had my first child & we lost contact after that. When I was 23 I found him again and this time it felt so good. I hadn't seen or talk to him since I was 15. I went to his house and knocked on the door and got no answer. When I gave up and was about to walk away I saw an elderly man struggling with groceries trying to get in, so I went to help. He said thank you mam your so kind. I looked at him and cried so hard, then said Daddy. I can't believe this. He said you don't have to cry for helping me thanks mam. I said Daddy it's me and said my name. He said my middle name and smiled so big it touched me. I grabbed his bags and he said come it baby. We sat down and talked for hours and I tried on all his clothes like a little kid. We both enjoyed & needed this.

Next he tells me he has cancer. My heart breaks. I had just finally found him and I'm too late. I move in with him and take care of him every day. One day I went to his house after I moved down the street. He seemed odd. I cut him some fruits up then headed to work. For two days he hadn't answered me and I was worried. The last time I got in I told the office open the door and he was dead when I got there. I didn't notice at first I thought he didn't hear me talking to him. He seemed as to be sleep and not responding is what I thought so I turned the heat off it was on 99°. I sat next to him talking holding his hand as his skin turned cold. He was gone. I wasn't ready for this I tried to prepare myself for his death my whole life and it drove me crazy. I can't take the hurt anyone.