*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

1. Mark Kelley

Mark Kelley New Member

Hi , I’m just trying to understand this app, I lost my wife 2 years ago and I have spoken with a couple people on the site here but the app is confusing

2. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mark, I'm so sorry for your loss. We don't want you to run into any difficulty while you're here...I hope I can be a help!
    There are many ways to connect with other grievers.
    One option is to go to the "Make a Connection" tab and then click on "Find Others Who Are Grieving". This allows you to do a search, using the criteria that's important to you. The more general you keep it, the more options you will get. I usually suggest choose the type of loss (like "loss of spouse" for example) and perhaps choose your state.
    Another option is to simply click on the name of a person who has commented in the forums - if you see a story that you can relate to, you can click on the user name and then "Start a conversation". This will begin a private exchange between you two.
    Finally, you can always click on the "Getting Started" tab. It really does help in knowing how to navigate the site and all we have to offer. Don't forget that we have over 50 blog articles related to grief and loss, and some specifically on the loss of spouse, and dating again after the loss of a spouse. I have included links to both of those below.
    https://www.griefincommon.com/blog/loss-of-a-spouse-5-things-only-a-widow-understands/
    https://www.griefincommon.com/blog/dating-after-the-loss-of-a-spouse/
    Let me know how it goes, we are here to help! We're so glad to have you with us, I hope you can find some support and connection here. Please take care~

3. Mark Kelley

Mark Kelley New Member

Hi , and thank you , yea I did the get started thing and I just think I didn’t give it much time , I think I had some anxiety going into this thing. I’ve only seen some one twice at the VA , and I’ve spent so much unnecessary time on other sites trying to conn with people who weren’t grieving like on Facebook etc. I have been told I have a very powerful story starting with my Dad, first day of my Junior year in high school , he was killed in a plane crash and was missing for 9 months , and my wife dying after she relapsed. I don’t want to write a novel but where is the appropriate place on my profile ? I guess ? that I can tell a short version of my story ? And thank you , you have been very helpful

Hi

4. griefic

griefic Administrator Staff Member

Hi again, glad that was some help to you. I truly understand the anxiety of starting something new, and also the need for wanting to connect with other grievers. That is exactly the reason this site was created! As for the best place to share your story, there are 2 options. If you want it in your profile you can include it under "interests". I know it may not seem like an interest but I find a lot of members use that place to tell a little more about themselves and there should be no limit on how much you can write. Anyone who clicks on your profile will see it. The second place is right within our forums. We named it "See and Share Stories" for just that reason. It is a great place to share your story and all that you've gone through, and I think you'll find people will connect with you well that way.
    Any further questions just let me know! Take care~

5. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife - and the early loss of your father. I hope you are able to navigate the site and find it helpful.

6. Mark Kelley

Mark Kelley New Member

Thank you , did you lose your wife ?

7. Sciguy

Sciguy Well-Known Member

No. I lost my mother suddenly in May - one week before Mother's day.

8. Emmi71

Emmi71 New Member

I new to this site as well and trying to navigate it. Any advice? Have you figured it out yet, Mark?

9. Mark Kelley

Mark Kelley New Member

Hi, I just replied to your message but it said I wasn't logged in when I had just done so ? I haven't been on this site since last August but u came through my email so I thought I would chat with you. I'm still not versed in this app yet but it looks like you and I are chatting so I say we run with it lol I'm sorry I didn't look at your profile or situation yet so I don't know who or when you lost some one but if you would like to share ? That would be cool

10. Emmi71

Emmi71 New Member

I lost my husband in May of 2007. I’m 48 years old, in fact today is my birthday. This site seems to be confusing to me. I’m trying my best to learn the site. I just joined today. Would you like to communicate and share about our spouses etc? I havent joined anything like this before. Why haven’t you been on since August? Sorry if I bothered you.

11. paul tinker

paul tinker Well-Known Member

Emmi71 and Mark. I came here out of convenience. My Hospice counselor had recommended going to grief groups. There are likely a ton but the one she suggested was once a month and I tended to forget ( brain fog) The point was to be with others that get it. So many here have felt alone and their support was limited. I very much agree that talking about our grief state and our feeling about how much we loved our partners is helpful. This site has articles and the ability like you two have to chat. The site really is small and FaceBook has a larger following. I will look up long-time members like Michele Wood and read her past posts. Most every post is a memory of the stages I have experienced. The book section is OK. I have found other grief books that were of use to me. The biggest thing here is feeling what others write, all so familiar. Most come here as guests and move on. Would prefer to see better participation in a thread. You can always direct questions to the site administrators. I learned how to start a new topic. I think many want to express the pain of the loss. The site does ok with reaching out and consoling. Just being heard and acknowledged is better than sitting alone in our personal spin. I find that I love each person here as we share a profound love. As painful as that is now. The fact is that is we all did love with our whole heart. Some post expressed so well the length of care that love took. These are courageous and worthy of so much respect. Have not used the new online video group, just a tech issue for me. The biggest point is grief is real and complex!!!

Hope this helps.

Paul