*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by tgotyall, Dec 22, 2021.

1. tgotyall

tgotyall Well-Known Member

To all who are on this site ,God I wish so so much it wasn’t the case.I just want to say “Merry Christmas”.It’s my 2nd one without my beautiful wife,not any better than the first but I fight on ,every day is a battle but so many good memories of Christmas together.I still put the tree up ,decorating outside and inside though not as much on the inside as my wife did.I wonder what all of you are doing also?For those who are facing this for the first time ,truthfully no magical words you just do it.For me was the first Christmas morning by myself,got up went to the graveyard in ten degree weather and sat as long as I could,and will do the same but hope for warmer weather.It is just awful,we will always want our spouses back ,I was at the cemetery the other day and met an older woman at her husband’s grave she said he was 91 when he passed almost a year ago,that she was so thankful she had him for this long but it was still painful.I told her that I lost my wife at 59, she says that is way to young to lose someone and with tears in her eyes says it is just not fair.You know it’s true I believe the younger the harder it is ,but the pain and grief is there for all and it stinks.I still have faith though very small, for I need to believe I will see my wife again.You are all TGW ,fighters for we know our spouses wouldn’t want it any other way. OMG this is hard crap,I hope all our with family and do the best that you , be strong and very courageous,God bless.

eyepilot13, DEB321, Sweetcole and 5 others like this.
  2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Tom, Merry Christmas to you, too, even
    though it's not too "merry " for us, on
    GIC. I 'mvery happy that you stayed with
    us. We need each other, especially during
    Christmas, New Year's Day, and sad
    anniversaries ( our spouses' birth and
    death days, our weddings). Since we
    last spoke, 2 new "brothers " have joined
    us from Texas. Rick, 72, is my age, the
    oldest. Chad , 38, is the youngest. You
    are in the middle, and will be our 6th
    brother. I feel we can be stronger
    together. I feel bad that you had to sit in
    the cold, at Gina's gravesite. My wife.
    Linda, had requested that she be cremated.
    I respected her wishes, and her ashes are
    in a simple green block with her name &
    a lighthouse, bc we both love the sea.
    God Bless, Tom, and thank you again for
    reaching out to us . Lou

csmith532 likes this.
  3. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post. This will actually be my 4th Christmas after losing Ron so suddenly right before Thanksgiving in 2018. That first Christmas is a blur. I know I had both my children with me and my brother and his gf. Each year I hope it gets easier going through the holidays. But it’s such a struggle. I have a tree and have some of his Star Trek ornaments on it. and put out the wooden deer that Ron made years ago to honor him. Inside our home used to be decorated everywhere now I put out Rons favorite things. Everything I do is to honor my wonderful husband. We were together since I was 16 and he was 19, married 41 years and in business together. The holidays sure test us. But we all push through. I believe with all my heart we will be reunited with our wonderful spouses when it’s our turn. Ron was cremated and I talk to him each day. During the holidays I put a Poinsettia by his ashes and an ornament I had given him the year prior, of the 2 of us on our anniversary trip. I feel his presence with me and it gives me strength. Ron is my reason to get up and keep moving each day. He would want that. You are so right, this is hard crap. God bless you and everyone on this site.
    Robin

4. Van Gogh

Robin, that is beautiful, how you honor
    Ron's memory. I prefer to call my tribute
    to Linda, as her memorial ,rather than
    her ashes. I see it every day, on top of my
    bureau. Next to it, I placed a small jade
    elephant, which we both loved. It's as if
    that elephant is saying we must never
    forget. TGW are helping me through my
    4th Christmas, too, for which I'm very
    grateful. Since Linda was the one who
    decorated our apartment, I am not, in
    my new apartment. I plan to take a walk by
    the ocean and downtown There are others
    here, who live alone, as I do. Merry
    Christmas, Robin. You have been an
    inspiration, welcoming me and our
    recent new members. Lou

5. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

That is so lovely that you decorate, she may be looking down in awe. This too is my second Christmas I lost Jack my husband of 39 years to cancer and I agree the second Christmas is no better than the first but we fight on. I will have my daughter and granddaughter with me this year and supposed to snow which gives them very happy thoughts.
    I decorate, but not like I used to. I only decorate for my daughter and granddaughter otherwise I would just forget it. I fake it around them so they won't worry about me so much. My daughter watches me like a hawk and if she knew how sad and miserable I am she would probably put me into a care home. She's way too protective, but I love her to pieces.

I have Jack in my office with his favorite hat on and my son is there too. My son died 2019. They are my two loves I miss terribly and will forever until I meet them again.

Tom I think is your name. Thank you for posting your Merry Christmas message, hoping for a better new year for us all. Karen

6. csmith532

csmith532 Well-Known Member

I lost my Lizzy in October and this will be the first Christmas without her. I couldn't muster the strength to put up the tree or decorate. Going to my brother's for Christmas. It's so hard without her. I am 38 and she was 39. Trying to just take one day at a time. Merry Christmas.

-Chad

Van Gogh likes this.
  7. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

My heart breaks for you. I’m glad you have family offering support. And of coarse GIC. We’re here for you. Holidays are very hard. One day at a time is the best way. Don’t think too far ahead. I know from experience having a loving caring family helps. Just knowing someone cares. All I ever hope for to make it through to the other side of these holidays. I put a gift under the tree for Ron each year. Usually bird seed. This year a feeder and bird seed. He’d love it. ❤️

Van Gogh likes this.
  8. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Karen, I don’t know if I missed it or I’m that forgetful. But I didn’t know you lost your son too. I’m so sorry. My tree is up for my daughter like you’re saying. And for whatever reason I’m feeling extra miserable this year. Or maybe not more but not better then last year. thinking of you and all of us on GIC as we push through the holidays. Robin

Van Gogh likes this.
  9. Van Gogh

Robin, it is so wonderful that Karen, Chad,
    Tom, and you, are on GIC today. It's a
    gray, very cold day. I just want to get
    through Christmas. Bc Linda was my only
    family, and did the decorating, I just
    need to take a walk that day, & have
    food in the apartment at night. Lou

csmith532 likes this.
  10. Van Gogh

Thank you so much for your kind words
    to Tom. I am so glad he's staying with us
    on GIC. I welcomed him as a middle
    brother. Rick & I are the oldest, and Chad
    is the youngest. Now, we are 6 brothers--
    strength in numbers. I'm glad Trish &
    your grandaughter are with you for
    Christmas, even though it is very sad &
    empty without Jack. Lou

11. Van Gogh

Chad, I am really glad you're going to your
    brother's. Is he married with children ?
    You shouldn't be alone, your first
    Christmas without Lizzy. Lou

12. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

Lou, It’s raining and windy here. Kind of miserable. I hate days like this. I’m staying busy and preparing for my brother and his gf coming for Christmas. Hope she behaves. I’m sorry it will be such a lonely day for you. My heart goes out to you and you’ll be in my prayers as always. Hope you have some eats saved for Christmas to get you through. It’s such a difficult day. Not sure how I would fair if I was alone. I’m usually feeling better with people around me. Not always but usually. As you know, Linda is with you. She’s a part of you. ❤️ Robin

Van Gogh likes this.
  13. Van Gogh

Thank you, Robin. Except for Christmas
    Day itself, when everything is closed, I've
    been going out to breakfast or lunch, to
    be with people, or bring my phone, sit
    alone, and get on GIC, which helps me
    immensely. Even though it rained, I
    went to a cafe which features live
    music at lunchtime, usually a duo. I sit
    in the back room, with a guy, my age,
    who talks with me while he plays the
    drum softly. Today was a treat, bc he
    surprised the duo ( and me), by standing
    up with his blues harp, & sang the blues.
    Perfect. Lou

DEB321 likes this.
  14. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

That does sound like such a lovely way to spend a dreary afternoon. I happy it turned out to be a nice treat for you. I’m seeing I have a chance of a little snow tomorrow. Would be so nice if that happened on Christmas Eve. I’m hoping your home and safe and warm in your apartment. I’m annoyed at myself I was out yesterday and forgot to look for sleepy time tea. I do plan on getting it though.
    I have to go out in this bitter cold and gale force winds to get my garbage out. I always think how Ron would never let me do these things. Hope you have a good evening. Robin

Van Gogh likes this.
  15. Van Gogh

Yes, we are supposed to get a little snow
    Christmas Eve, which brings joy to
    families, especially children, and I'm
    happy for them. Please bundle up when
    you have to face those winds. Hope you
    can buy the herbal tea next time. It's
    supposed to be really cold tomorrow, and
    I may stay inside. I need to take naps
    sometimes. I want to stay healthy, well
    fed, and warm, as Linda would've wanted.
    I'm proud of myself that I baked chicken
    thighs in the oven tonight. The aroma
    brings me back to my middle school
    years, when I would come inside after
    raking leaves, and my mouth was
    salivating. Now, I can even have leftovers.
    Lou

DEB321 likes this.
  16. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you too. I gathered holly and fir boughs from my property to make a swag with ornaments and ribbon for my front door. Just enough for the outside world to know I remember we’re in a holiday season. It’s my first without Kenn. It sucks. ~Bernadine

DEB321 and Van Gogh like this.
  17. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

It's hard to keep caught up here. I guess you read about my son's passing I sent to Gary. I miss him so much. He and Jack are in my office in their urn's as they call it waiting for me.
    Me too, extra miserable. Second year is no more better than the first. Let's just get these holidays behind us and hope for a better new year. Blessings to you and your daughter and son this Christmas. Karen

18. RLC

RLC Well-Known Member

I’m proud of you too. Look at you baking chicken. And I agree, having left overs is kind of the best part. Sometimes I wonder what Ron would be eating, cooking etc if things were reversed. He loved my cooking. Like I’m sure you loved Linda’s cooking. And yes, thank you for caring. I do bundle up when heading out in this brutal cold. And colder tomorrow. I think I’ll be staying in too. I do want to get the tea, I want my daughter to try it too. She has a stressful job and she has a lot of anxiety. I worry about her. Im sure you’re resting by now, I was up past 2 last night. Hoping tonight goes better. Robin

Van Gogh likes this.
  19. Sweetcole

Sweetcole Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you as well. That was nice of you to think of us. Im praying for all our strength this holiday and each passing day. This is also my second one without my sweetheart. If it wasn't for our small kids I think I'd boycott the holiday. The fact that they are counting me is the oy thing thats keeping me going even though I'm still moving slow. Its good you still do some of yall traditions. I hope you have a good night and a blessed Holiday. You are a warrior!

20. Van Gogh

Sweetcole, it's so good to see you on here
    again.I remember talking with you,and that you're young, as was your husband &
    sweetheart. I have found that my friends
    here have become closer , when they
    said their names, and that of their
    soulmates. Also, what part of the U.S.A.
    they live. I know you live down South,
    in Georgia. I live on the northern coast
    of Massachusetts. May I ask your name &
    husband's? My name is Lou, 72, & my
    wife's name was Linda. She died suddenly,
    at 68. That was rightbefore Thanksgiving,
    3 years ago. I woke up from a dream, in
    which I was crying for Linda, and had to
    get on here for comfort. There's always
    someone with whom to talk. Hope you
    have a Merry Christmas, even though it's
    not so merry for us grief warriors. Lou