*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Lost my big sister to alcohol

Discussion in 'Loss of Sibling' started by mpk4861, Oct 23, 2021.

1. mpk4861

mpk4861 New Member

Hi guys…I lost my sister last Sunday from chronic alcohol abuse. The health consequences caught up with her. I’m a paramedic and tried so hard to help her see what she was doing, but I don’t think she was herself for the last few years. I’m trying to figure out how to forgive her so I can focus on the good memories. It feels impossible.

2. MarioKiki

MarioKiki Member

Hi there - I lost my sister to a drug overdose. I didn't think I'd ever resent her for her death, but I do get angry with her since she essentially caused her own death. What works for me is reframing my feelings. She was an addict, so she had her own unhealthy coping mechanisms; she was a pill popper. It was difficult to accept her death, and some days are still hard (it's been 8 months). Whenever you feel like you need to forgive her, remember that you don't have to right then and there. Grief is not linear. You'll feel sad one day, angry the next, hopeless thereafter. As cliché as it may be, we must take life one day at a time. Sending you all the strength as you go through this grief journey; reminder that we're here for you.