*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Heroin killed my baby brother

Discussion in 'Loss of Sibling' started by Brittany, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Brittany

Brittany New Member

My baby brother was an addict for 8 years. He had been clean for the last 8 months. He got his tax refund and went out on the road. He drove a semi. On feb. 1st, his girlfriend called me frantic because she couldn't get whole of him. She had called his work and they said he clocked out in Nashville, Illinois. I told her to call the police over there to go check on him. She called me 30 minutes later saying they found my brother and he was dead of an obvious heroin overdose. The needle was still in his arm. I found out while I was at work. My mom is devestated. I am devestated. He left behind a 15month old son. And a whole lot of family that loved him. We buried him Feb. 6 th. It still all seems unreal, like I will wake up from this nightmare. But everyday is groundhogs day. I wake up and realize he's gone again. I'm a pretty big control freak so these emotional roller coasters and waves that hit have me thinking I'm crazy. The last week has been rough. I went back to work and living in a small town everybody asks about him. I've had flashbacks to him in a coffin and it just doesn't seem real. Ive had flashbacks of him alone, craving, in his truck a state away dying, all alone.
    People tell me this is all normal, going through grief. It's only been two weeks so maybe it's still raw. I'm not a patient person and I want to be ready to be normal and my old self again.

2. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I’m so sorry for your loss. Let me say this type of loss is a very tough one, although they’re all tough. This loss is a sudden and confusing one. My son’s father died from a heroin/Fentanyl overdose the day before thanksgiving and I haven’t been the same and never will be again. Our son is 2 and I’m just totally devastated still. I’m here if you need to talk.

griefic and Brittany like this.
  3. Hannah Laudo

Hannah Laudo Member

I am so sorry for both of your losses. I have had experience with addiction in my family. I know how hard it is to watch someone you love slowly turn into someone you do not recognize. I cannot imagine the pain you both are feeling. I know I do not have all the right answers to tell you, but know that I am here for you if you need anything.

griefic likes this.
  4. Michele Wood

Michele Wood Well-Known Member

My sister, Tricia, was at the beginning of the heroin overdose death saga. In 1999, she was being over prescribed painkillers for a carpal tunnel ailment. She had abused drugs and alcohol for years. It got so out of control she went into the hospital. Ironically, the doctors prescribed methadone to get her off the painkillers. She took too many and died the next day.

I have learned that doctors can cause lots of problems. Neither doctor should have prescribed what they did.