*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Grief & Laughter. Have you laughed today, yesterday or in the past?

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by cjpines, Feb 28, 2022.

1. cjpines

cjpines Well-Known Member

This is Karen. I started this thread in hopes it helps everyone to heal. I know you who are new to loss may not appreciate this, but in time you may.
    Yesterday I found myself laughing at something I did and felt like an idiot, at the same time, laughing at myself. And, every time I thought about what I did I started laughing in my brain.

So, I was thinking maybe sharing some funny stories, or comments that made you laugh would be healing or at least something to send Mr. Grief running the opposite way -- for the moment.

Laughter is few and far away on our journey, but when it happens it's worth a moment of joy.

Blessings always, Karen

2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Karen, I LOVE this idea!! It is good for
    the soul. Lou

3. cjpines

Bernadine got me interested in this post when she posted a funny about Maggie and the rain.

This may not be funny to anyone, but it did give me my daily laugh. I've been so stressed about my 1 acre of weeds growing so healthy and thinking about all the money I have to fork out hiring a weed eater or riding mower person. Things Jack used to take care of. So, I complained to my friend in Arizona. She had a solution. She said, "Let the 1 acre go wild and just say you were cultivating the fairies and wildlife". If only I could. I don't think the fire dept would think fairies and wildlife would be permitted.

4. Van Gogh

Karen, if you could somehow pay someone
    to mow down those weeds, it might be
    worth it, & put in a rock garden instead.
    Linda & I went to a Japanese sushi
    restaurant,& when we stepped outside, we
    were treated to a simple, Zen like rock
    garden, which gave us serenity right
    away. Lou

Debra M likes this.
  5. cjpines

Thanks Lou, it's 1 acre, way too large for a rock garden financially. But, than you.

Van Gogh likes this.
  6. Van Gogh

You're welcome, Karen. Sorry you have
    this added, stupid stress to your life. It
    may be yet another sign that you will
    eventually move, as I hope Debra and
    Deb will, to a better place. You may want
    to check out a fun anecdote that I shared
    with Debra, about a dog. Lou

Debra M likes this.
  7. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

Karen laughter is good medicine. we need more of it

DEB321 likes this.
  8. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

I know the joys and difficulties of having an acre yard. I love the buffer from the neighbors and the open space to see sunrises and sunsets. But it doesn't mow and clean up after itself. That was my husbands job. I have had to hire people to come to do clean ups and mowing and yes it does get expensive. Just this week I found out the group that has been mowing it for several years (and at a decent price) will not be doing it. Any where else I have looked is so expensive and most of the lawn care companies are having trouble getting employees. I happen to love buffalo and used to try to convince my husband we should get one - it would cut the grass and fertilize it. He didn't think so. I am in a rural area but not that rural. HUGS to all

Helena Beatriz likes this.
  9. cjpines

So, you understand, thank you. What is a buffalo?

10. Ceee

Ceee Well-Known Member

In America it is a Bison. a large wild animal.

Attached Files:

11. Gary166

Gary166 Guest

Karen thank you so much for the LMSO. I imagine if the acre had road frontage you could probably sell it and put up a privacy fence. I guess it’s behind your home? I live in the country and we have a county extension office that can answer questions in regards to what to do with property trees grass ect. I’ve been racking my brain since you put up this thread. something happened about a month ago that was really funny but I can’t recall yet. Thanks. Gary

Countess Joy and Van Gogh like this.
  12. eyepilot13

eyepilot13 Well-Known Member

I know I mentioned how I lost my sense of humor. More emphatically I lost my sense of wanting to laugh. Sense of wacky absurd silliness. Loss of whimsy. Since Sunday I am living in a vacuum of blankness. I like nothing. I kinda hate everything. I'm sorry...

cjpines and Van Gogh like this.
  13. Van Gogh

George, I understand. Living near the
    ocean, as I do, I feel that our grief over
    our spouses' deaths, is like the
    changing tides: sometimes calm, other
    times medium ( my favorite), and
    sometimes angry & ferocious, during
    or after a storm. You did laugh recently
    when you said you gave the middle
    finger to Mr. Grief. May be time to do it
    again. I was depressed last Thursday
    night, bc I knew I'd be trapped inside
    all day Friday. The anticipation was
    worse than the event. On Sat, I shoveled
    the light ( not heavy, wet) snow, and was
    able to walk again. Our long range
    forecast says we may be spared another
    snowstorm. I really hope that's the case
    for you, George. I KNOW you, Gary, me,
    & others will be happier in the spring. Lou

Dreary, DEB321 and eyepilot13 like this.
  14. eyepilot13

I'm working at it Lou. Fighting those demons that came back roaring at me Sunday. Will start a new thread and post art.

Van Gogh likes this.
  15. Van Gogh

Great idea, George, about art. I'll check it
    now. Lou

16. eyepilot13

I found the cable that connects camera to computer!

Countess Joy likes this.
  17. cjpines

How about a couple of goats?

Helena Beatriz likes this.
  18. cjpines

Getting rain Fri and Sat, we're all jumping for joy.

19. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

Maybe hire a herd of goats two or three times a year to take everything to the ground…and then send them home- they can be a handful ;)

Ceee, Helena Beatriz and cjpines like this.
  20. DEB321

DEB321 Well-Known Member

Karen,

Thank you so much for starting this thread!!!, TUTTAM!!! I LOVE!!! it. I wish I had something funny to contribute from today, but sadly, a friend of mine suffered a stroke last night. The good news is his wife made sure he got to the hospital ASAP!!! and he was able to get proper medical care very quickly. He is doing well today, and was even able to send a short text to his friends. He has a great sense of humor and outlook on life, doesn't let small things get to him, and enjoys each and every day to the absolute max... I believe his outlook on life will help him pull through this. Special favor, if anyone can spare a prayer or two, please pray for him. All prayers are appreciated more than you will ever know...

Wait... this isn't supposed to be a sad thread, so... I'll share a fun memory from many years ago. Bob, me, and the kids were in Florida during a particularly HOT!!! week. It was so HOT!!! that the water inside the pool was HOT!!!, the line to the outdoor snack bar was super long... Everyone was buying icy cold drinks in huge plastic cups. The five of us were in the pool, all of us having a great time together, in spite of the intense heat. I said that I would do anything at all, just to be able to cool off. Almost as soon as I said this, Bob picked me up, held me above his shoulders, and I felt an ICY!!! blast of freezing cold water hit me. Instinctively I yelled, "Bob," super loud, and burst into a fit of laughter. By this time, Bob, the kids, and the people around us were laughing too. (I didn't know it, but Bob had motioned to one of the life guards who had what looked like a giant water gun to aim it at me, just as I finished telling him how I would do anything at all to cool off.)

This probably doesn't sound that funny too you now, it was one of those you had to be there type moments. It became one of those "remember when's," that either Bob or one of the kids would mention at family gatherings. It always made us laugh BIG!!! TIME!!!, and it never seemed to grow stale. Although I need a tissue, they're happy mixed with sad tears... as all of my treasured memories will be from now on.

The timing of this thread is perfect. Thank you so much for reminding me of this fun family memory, in spite of being worried/sad today. It is so important!!!, TUTTAM!!!, to be able to smile through our tears... I believe that when we can do this, it is a sign that we're going to be okay... Better days ahead...

As always, sending you and Rambo, lots of hugs, wishing you peace, all of us peace. DEB