*DAYTIME AND EVENING GENERAL GRIEF GROUPS AVAILABLE EVERY WEEK* CLICK HERE TO JOIN US!

Changes of seasons, the biggest butt-kicker

Discussion in 'Loss of Spouse' started by CPW, Jun 4, 2022.

1. CPW

CPW Member

The last couple days have been mighty weepy, and I'm realizing why. While of course certain dates are a challenge - anniversary, birthday, holidays, death day, first day of chemo, etc. - after 17 months since my Ned left with the tides, I know now it is the changes of seasons that hit me extra extra hard. When the wind shifts direction, the light changes, the air smells different, birds come to life or go silent, fire flies begin to emerge, and I relive how we'd revel in the shifts in our patterns - planting or harvesting, stacking wood, launching or hauling a little boat, opening the house or making cozy fires. New movements, shifting priorities - the dance of life together, the joy, the newness.

Sweetcole, Gary166, Rose69 and 2 others like this.
  2. Van Gogh

Van Gogh Well-Known Member

Carla, your description of how the change
    of seasons affects grief, is poetic , as
    always. I think I have seasonal disaffected
    disorder . I feel manic at the beginning
    of summer , warm weather , when the
    tourists pack our small town. I felt
    depressed when I was confined in my
    apartment , in the cold, long, snowy
    winter. I hope you pass this phase, and
    can try to enjoy the short summer of
    New England. Lou

Gary166, Rose69 and Countess Joy like this.
  3. Countess Joy

Countess Joy Well-Known Member

Beautifully said. I had that feeling when the early spring bulbs came up…. Another season ahead without them. Feels like stepping into the void. ~B

Gary166, Rose69 and Van Gogh like this.
  4. Rose69

Rose69 Well-Known Member

I understand totally what you mean. Since these hot Summer days have started, blue skies and sunshine, neverending daylight, I can't help but constantly think about how me and my C would be taking care of our land, growing all those veggies, cherry picking, loading up firewood to prepare for the following winter, but also taking many breaks going for motorbike rides around our beautiful mountains which surround us here.
    I get through this just by talking to my C and getting along trying to accomplish as much as possible as I learned so much from him about making decisions and solving problems and difficult situations.

Gary166, Sweetcole and Van Gogh like this.
  5. CPW

CPW Member

Rose - I talked to my Ned all the time and the learning from each other thing was a big part of the glue between us, and remains so.

Rose69, Gary166 and Van Gogh like this.